Urgent: Need Help Checking Thevinin's Theorem Calculations

In summary, the student attempted to find the current in a circuit using the thevenin equation, but found it difficult to follow due to the use of polar and rectangular coordinates. He recommends breaking down the problem into smaller pieces and using numerical methods to solve for the current. Either symbolically or by converting to Norton equivalents would be a good approach.
Razor3210
I have to find current on part of a circuit using thevinins theroem with polar and rectangular coordinates. Circuit is attached

Sorry - this is a large amount of working and I can't really type it all out. Nor can i type out a circuit diagram. Find attached the question as well as my solution. there is an imgur album as well as attached files. apologies for the circuit diagram not being very clear on the question sheet. It is drawn out on my first page of solutions.

http://imgur.com/N8eDDJd&692gycQ&TvgOkMv&qIyzsKh&tRKoeFu#0

This is the imgur album. Has high res images. Sorry the pdf is so blurry. Had to use a lower resolution so i could attach it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 379
  • electronics cropped1.pdf
    860.7 KB · Views: 293
Physics news on Phys.org
Whew! That's a lot of numerics to wade through. While your basic approach is okay (using mesh analysis to find the currents, then the resulting open circuit potential), plugging in the complex numbers right away and then carrying them through all the manipulations is error prone and very frustrating to follow.

If I may suggest, why not break down the problem into smaller morsels that you can attack symbolically first, then plug in the numbers. At least then the starting expressions will be verifiable and calculation errors can be tracked to manageable bites.

To that end, first note that the circuit consists of four parallel branches. Since the order of the branches will not affect the result, move the "load" branch to one end and consider the rest of the circuit for which you want to find the Thevenin equivalent.

One approach to compartmentalize the solution is to build up your Thevenin equivalent one step at a time. Note the red arrows dividing up the circuit in this diagram:

attachment.php?attachmentid=61091&stc=1&d=1377272029.gif

The circuit segment to the left of arrow A comprises a simple voltage divider, so you can determine the expressions for its Thevenin equivalent easily and work the math. Then move to the next "slice" at arrow B. Add the new components to the previous Thevenin equivalent and determine the new, combined equivalent. Again, the expressions should be manageable symbolically and then numerically.

Alternatively, you might want to look at using nodal analysis to find a single symbolic expression for the open-circuit potential (that of the top node). The single expression will be a bit large, but can be attacked in pieces.

A third alternative is to convert both source branches to Norton equivalents. Combine the parallel stuff into a single Norton equivalent (easy!), then convert the result to its Thevenin equivalent. Again it becomes stepwise-manageable.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 661
Thanks for the reply!

I definitely like the idea of seperating out the sections of the circuit and working out the thevinin equivalent for each component and collecting them, definitely easier for finding problems! When I checked through I realized I had made a fairly large mistake early on and it was a pain to change throughout the calculation (had to rewrite 3 pages!). The reason I used the method I did was because my lecturer had a similar example and I could compare the steps making sure I had missed nothing out.

I think the biggest problem - as you said - was working in the cartesian and polar coordinates. They added a level of complexity that was unnecassary and would have been far easier to follow if I had a symbolic equation to follow instead.

Thanks for the advice! The work is submitted now but I think I will definitely take note (it's going next to where I file my solution) of your advice.

1. What is Thevinin's Theorem?

Thevinin's Theorem is a fundamental concept in electrical engineering that allows for the simplification of complex networks into a single voltage source and a single series resistance. It is commonly used to analyze and design circuits.

2. How is Thevinin's Theorem used?

Thevinin's Theorem is used to calculate the equivalent voltage and resistance of a complex network. This equivalent circuit can then be used to determine the behavior of the original network under various conditions.

3. What are the steps for applying Thevinin's Theorem?

The steps for applying Thevinin's Theorem are as follows:

• 1. Identify the load resistor in the network.
  • 2. Remove the load resistor and determine the open-circuit voltage across the terminals where the load resistor was connected.
  • 3. Determine the equivalent resistance of the network by short-circuiting all voltage sources and removing all current sources.
  • 4. Draw the simplified Thevinin equivalent circuit with the open-circuit voltage and equivalent resistance.
  • 5. Connect the load resistor back to the network and calculate the desired values using the Thevinin equivalent circuit.

4. What are common mistakes when using Thevinin's Theorem?

Common mistakes when using Thevinin's Theorem include incorrectly identifying the load resistor, not considering dependent sources, and not accounting for nonlinear elements in the network. It is also important to check the accuracy of the calculations and ensure all steps are followed correctly.

5. How do I know if my Thevinin's Theorem calculations are correct?

To check the accuracy of your Thevinin's Theorem calculations, you can compare the results to the original network or use a simulation tool to verify the behavior of the network. It is also helpful to double-check the steps and equations used in the calculations and consult with a peer or instructor if needed.