Properties of Invertible Matrices: A2-AB+BA-B2 is Singular

In summary, if A and B are n x n matrices such that A - B is singular, then A² - AB + BA - B² is also singular. This can be shown by computing the determinant of the matrix (A-B)(A+B), which is equal to 0 since det(A-B) = 0. This means that the matrix is singular.
abonaser
Show the following:

If A and B are n x n matrices such that A - B is singular then A2 - AB + BA - B2 is also singular.

I really have no clue how to solve this, but I am guessing that AB does not equal BA, I don't know how that can help or be relevant but just in case

Thanks alot, any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
A²-AB+AB-B²=(A-B)(A+B).

Try computing the determinant of this matrix.

alright I am not sure how to calculate the determinant, because we are not actually given any information besides to the matrices A and B are nxn matrices

Agreed, but the only thing you need to know is det(A-B)=0. Can you now calculate det((A-B)(A+B))?

well if det(A-B)=0. Then det((A-B)(A+B))=0 and the matrix is singular!

I am trying to understand though, how did you know that det(A-B)=0?

and thanks a lot for all the help!

Well, you said that A-B was singular. Thus that means that det(A-B)=0...

aha I see right, I am really lost with this whole matrices situation haha thanks a lot for the help!

1. What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has an inverse, meaning it can be multiplied by another matrix to get the identity matrix.

2. What does A2-AB+BA-B2 mean?

A2-AB+BA-B2 is a matrix expression used to determine if a matrix is singular. It represents the difference between two products of matrices.

3. How do you know if A2-AB+BA-B2 is singular?

If the determinant of A2-AB+BA-B2 is equal to 0, then the matrix is singular. This means it does not have an inverse and cannot be inverted.

4. What is the significance of A2-AB+BA-B2 being singular?

If A2-AB+BA-B2 is singular, it means the matrix is not invertible and cannot be used in certain mathematical operations. This can affect the accuracy and validity of calculations and solutions.

5. How can one use the knowledge of A2-AB+BA-B2 being singular in practical applications?

In practical applications, knowing that A2-AB+BA-B2 is singular can help identify situations where certain operations may not be possible or may lead to inaccurate results. This can also guide the selection of appropriate matrices for a given problem.