1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Needed for Calculus Exam!

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    Just a question to clear things up regarding to the integrating factors for my exams tomorrow:

The standard first order differential equation has the form:

dy/dx + p(x)*y = q(x).

where the integrating factor is e^(integral of p(x) dx).

But in one of the previous year paper, it has the equation

dy/dt + bt = a

where "b" and "a" are constants. To me, this does not resembles the standard form.

But apparently it is, in the answer they used the integral factor
    e^(integral of b) and solved the equation.

I must have missed some important points in how to identify integrating factors...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a special case of the standard from in which p(x) and q(x) are constant functions! So, it's an easier to solve case. But it's still a linear equation, so why wouldn't the method of integrating factors work? The standard form is just the most general case.

Edit: Why did you post a question about differential equations in the Kindergarten to Grade 12 HW Help forum? :rofl:

Edit: I didn't read the problem carefully before. Furthermore, it should be even easiser to solve, because p(x) = 0! There is no 'y' term.

Edit: At third glance, the problem is SO easy, that although it is a linear equation, it doesn't even merit the method of integrating factors! You have dy/dt = q(t). Why not just integrate directly?

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = a - bt [/tex]

[tex] y = \int{(a-bt)}dt [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?