How Do Sound Waves Measure Water Depth in Physics Coursework?

In summary, the conversation is about a student's urgent physics coursework on sensing using sound waves. They are trying to measure the depth of water in a tank by emitting sound waves and picking up the reflected wave with a microphone. They need to use the speed of sound in air and water and measure the time intervals between the original and reflected waves. The student received suggestions on how to do this, including using an oscilloscope and filters, but they still have questions about certain concepts such as resolution, response time, and sensitivity.
Jay_102
Urgent- Physics coursework on sensing (OCR B)

The coursework is on using sound waves to measure the depth of water in a tank. I emit soundwaves using a sound generator and pick of the reflected wave with a mic. The original wave and the reflected wave are then shown on a osiliscope. I then need to use the speed of sound in air and some how find and combine that with the speed of sound in water? Also I have to measure the different interval time between the reflected wave and original wave?I don't know the speed of sound in water even after research and don't get how to combine them to use S=D/T. I need HELP PLZ!

OCR B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Jay_102
The coursework is on using sound waves to measure the depth of water in a tank. I emit soundwaves using a sound generator and pick of the reflected wave with a mic. The original wave and the reflected wave are then shown on a osiliscope. I then need to use the speed of sound in air and some how find and combine that with the speed of sound in water? Also I have to measure the different interval time between the reflected wave and original wave?I don't know the speed of sound in water even after research and don't get how to combine them to use S=D/T. I need HELP PLZ!

OCR B

Well try this for http://www.npl.co.uk/acoustics/techguides/soundpurewater/

You can read time intervals off the oscilloscope. Try not using a 'sound generator'(?) make one large sharp sound (such as a hammer on a metal plate) and then you can see the original wave and the return wave... but it depends how good your oscilloscope is - can it record and display a trace?

Why would you need the speed of sound in air? Hmm... I suppose you may receive 3 peaks instead of 2 - one for the original, one for the wave reflected from the bottom of the pool, and one for reflection from the bottom.

T = Timesoundcameback - Timesoundleft
D = S * T
S = 1404.3 + 4.7T - 0.04T^2
speed works from 15-35 degrees C at maximum error of 0.18ms.

use filters and a positive feedback op-amp to detect the pulses.
use an LC filter to detect the apropriate frequency,
use an op-amp with positive feedback and latch-up to detect sound, then measre the difference in time (using clock cycles and a counter) to figure out how much time has elepsed
something like starting the clock (transister bias?) when the pulse leaves, then stoping it see above, when the pulse comes back (using op-amp).
Sorry, i do programming and electronics, but not much else!

Thankz for all the above its been a real help. Could PLZ on help on one thing. I don't know wot the following are and how they incorperate into my work:
Resolution
response time
systematic bias or drift
sensitivity
random variation

1. What is the purpose of studying sensing in physics?

The study of sensing in physics helps us understand how different materials and systems respond to different types of stimuli, such as light, sound, temperature, pressure, and more. This knowledge is crucial in developing advanced technologies and improving our understanding of the natural world.

2. What are some common types of sensors used in physics?

Some common types of sensors used in physics include optical sensors, piezoelectric sensors, thermocouples, accelerometers, and magnetic sensors. These sensors are designed to measure specific physical quantities and convert them into electrical signals for further analysis.

3. How does the sensing process work in physics?

The sensing process in physics involves the use of sensors, which act as transducers by converting a physical quantity into an electrical signal. The signal is then amplified, filtered, and processed to extract useful information about the physical system being studied.

4. What are some real-world applications of sensing in physics?

Sensing in physics has a wide range of applications, including environmental monitoring, medical diagnostics, robotics, aerospace technology, and more. For example, temperature sensors are used in thermostats, pressure sensors are used in cars for airbag deployment, and acceleration sensors are used in smartphones for screen rotation.

5. How can sensing be improved in physics?

Sensing in physics can be improved through advancements in sensor technology, such as developing more sensitive and accurate sensors, as well as improving signal processing techniques. Additionally, interdisciplinary collaborations between physicists and engineers can lead to innovative sensor designs and applications.