1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent physics problem

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A fully loaded Cessna-182 airplane of mass 1290kg has an engine failure when flying with an airspeed of 139 km/h at an altitude of 2710 m on a calm day. it then glides at a constant glide angle(which is the direction of flight below the horizontal) towards a safe landing at this constant speed of 139km/h experiencing a drag force of 1270 N that opposes the directin in which the plane is moving.
    i) Find the magnitude of:

a) The glide angle
    5.75 degrees

b) The lift force.
    12654.9 N

c) The rate at which the loaded plane is losing gravitational potential energy[/B]

ii) Suppose the pilot instead had managed to get the airplane engine started such that he was able to apply full throttle and the airplane climbed along a straight line angled above the horizontal so that it gained altitude at a steady rate of 5.61 m/s. Assuming he was again flying with an airspeed of 139km/h determine:

i) the flight angle above the horizontal the plane is flying.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already found the glide angle and lift force using F = mg cos(theta)
    The glide angle is 5.76 degrees
    The lift force is 12654.9 N

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi sid88,

The gravitational potential energy for this problem is U=mgy. The rate of change of U is the rate of change of mgy. Since m and g are constants, can you find the rate of change of y?

Once you find that, a quick multiplication will give you the rate of change of mgy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?