1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent probability questions

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    Urgent probability questions!!!!

Please help!

How can 5 black and 5 yellow balls be put into two urns to maximize the probability that a yellow ball is drawn from a randomly chosen urn?

I got:
    P(draw yellow)=P(draw yellow intersect urn1)+P(draw yellow intersect urn2)
    =P(draw yellow|urn1)P(urn1) + P(draw yellow|urn2)P(urn2)

where y=number of yelow balls in urn 1 and k=number of black balls in urn 2
    and y, k<=5

Then, I think I should plug in k=1, 2, 3..., differentiate the above, and set it to zero. Find critical value--but I never get a solution! I get something like -9=0....

Also, if there are b black balls and y yellow balls in an urn, and a person takes one out, replaces it, and adds in another of the same color, prove that at the nth trial, the probability of picking a black ball is b/b+y
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let F = P(draw yellow|urn1)P(urn1) + P(draw yellow|urn2)P(urn2) = (y1/n1 + y2/n2)/2.
    You also have
    y1 + y2 = 5
    n1 + n2 = 10.
    Therefore you can write y2 = 5 - y1 and n2 = 10 - n1 and substitute in to F.
    Now, how do you simultaneously set y1 and n1 to maximize F?
  4. Sep 28, 2007 #3

D H

Staff: Mentor

This doesn't work for a couple of reasons:
    • The solution (y1=2.5, n1=5) is not an integral solution.
    • More importantly, the solution is a saddle point. Its neither a minimum nor a maximum. If you had six of each color rather than five, the derivative-based solution is acheivable but is not maximal.

The resultant resultant probability for the derivative-based approach is 50%. There are many realizable arrangements that yield a 50% probability, for example
    • One of each color in one jug, the rest in the other jug
    • Two of each color in one jug, the rest in the other jug
    • One yellow and four black balls in one jug, four yellow and one black in the other jug.

There are several arrangements that do better than 50%. For example, two yellow and four black balls in one jug, three yellow balls and one black ball in the other yields a probability of 1/3 for jug A, 3/4 for jug B, or 13/24 for a random jug. There are ways to do even better. If you think about the problem for a bit one arrangement should pop out as special. Of course, you could brute-force it; there are only 21 combinations to worry about.
  5. Sep 28, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was wrong; y1=3, n1=5 is a saddle point. Thanks for catching it.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?