Answer Qns on Magnetic Field & Atoms

In summary, to determine the radius of a circular path in a magnetic field, you need to use the equation r = (mv)/(qB), where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and B is the magnetic field strength. Using this equation, it can be determined that a proton with the same initial velocity as a helium nucleus will have a circular path with a radius of R/2, while the helium nucleus will have a circular path with a radius of 2R. This is because the radius is directly proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the charge of the particle. Additionally, the centripetal acceleration plays a role in determining the radius, as it is equal to
Delzac
hi, i have a qns as follows, any help will be great apperciated.

A helium nucleus of velocity " v" enters a magnetic field and moves in a circular path of radius R. A proton having the same initial velocity that enters this magnetic field will then move in a circular path of :

a. R/4
b. R/2
c. R
d. 2R
e. 4R

by proportion(of charges and mass) i know that i either have to times by 2 or divide by 2, but which is it? R/2 or 2R? should the radius increase or decrease given that mass per charge increase?

Physics news on Phys.org
Delzac said:
hi, i have a qns as follows, any help will be great apperciated.

A helium nucleus of velocity " v" enters a magnetic field and moves in a circular path of radius R. A proton having the same initial velocity that enters this magnetic field will then move in a circular path of :

a. R/4
b. R/2
c. R
d. 2R
e. 4R

by proportion(of charges and mass) i know that i either have to times by 2 or divide by 2, but which is it? R/2 or 2R? should the radius increase or decrease given that mass per charge increase?
You need a formula for this, you cannot just guess. What is the correct formula? Set the magnetic force equal to m times the centripetal acceleration [itex] F_{magnetic} = m { v^2 \over r} [/itex]. Isolate the radius r. Notice that both the mass AND the charge plays a role in determining the radius so you need to know the charge of a helium nucleus in terms of the charge of a single proton.

PAtrick

You have an equation for the force of a particle in a magnetic field right? Use that to find the acceleration of both particles, remember acceleration = force/mass.

Now do you have another equation that gives you the radius of circular motion when you have the force? Try putting both accelerations you get in there and see what you get for the different R's

~Lyuokdea

u said that there is a charge component in it, however it dun seem to be included in the equation, do i need another set of equations?

Delzac, what is the force acting on the nucleus, as it goes in a circle?

eh... magnetic force?

anyway is the Qns done by using this equation : qvB= (mv^2)/r ??

i got my ans as 1/2 R, is that correct?

Delzac said:
eh... magnetic force?

Yeah, and what is the mathematical expression for this magnetic force?

Delzac said:

Look, you should be more interested in knowing how you got the equation. Once you do, you'll know if your equation is right or not yourself. If you don't know what the equation means, it's pointless giving you the answer.

the equation should be derived by Newton 2nd law right? ( or so it says in the book)

the 1st equation is F = qvB right?

the 2nd equation is F = (mv^2)/r ?

Delzac said:
the 1st equation is F = qvB right?

Yes, that is the magnetic force.

the 2nd equation is F = (mv^2)/r ?

Yes, that is by Newtons second law, as you (or rather, the book) said. I hope you understood why you are using these equations. Don't blindly use formulas.

The answer 1/2 R isn't right. Can you figure out what's wrong?

Last edited:
but how is the 2 nd equation derived from F = ma?? ( F=mv^2/r) it is not stated in the book

Delzac said:
but how is the 2 nd equation derived from F = ma?? ( F=mv^2/r) it is not stated in the book

:smile: This is the sort of question you should ask.

First of all, remember that you need some external force to move an object in a circle at a constant speed.

Why? This is because the velocity of the object is changing as it moves in a circle (due to the changing direction), even though the speed is constant. So, by Newtons second law, you need an external force.

The rate of change in this velocity is the centripetal acceleration, and the corresponding force which is required is the centripetal force.

The centripetal acceleration a_c can be calculated as [itex] a_c = v^2/r [/itex], and it points towards the center of the circle. The corresponding force is given by [itex] F_c = ma_c = m v^2/r [/itex].

In your given question, the external force which makes the object move in a circle at a uniform speed is the magnetic force, which acts as the centripetal force. That is how you get your equation.

Last edited:
the equation i am going to use is r=(mv)/(qB), am i going in the right direction?

thx for telling me about the centripetal acceleration also!

Delzac said:
the equation i am going to use is r=(mv)/(qB), am i going in the right direction?

thx for telling me about the centripetal acceleration also!

Yeah, you are going in the right direction.

R = (1 v)/(1.602 X 10^-19 X B) ?

for a proton

then for a helium nucleus, i have r= ( 4v)/(2)(1.602 X 10^-19X B)

then from those 2 equations, u equate and get r=2R?

then the circular path of a helium nucleus is 2R?

Yes, that answer looks right.

Thx for all the help : )

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. This force is caused by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, and is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of magnetic materials.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within a magnetic material. This movement can occur naturally, as in the Earth's core, or can be induced by an external magnetic field, such as from a magnet or electric current.

3. What are the properties of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field has several properties, including direction, strength, and polarity. The direction of a magnetic field is indicated by the orientation of its lines of force, which travel from the north pole to the south pole. The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of gauss or tesla. Polarity refers to the orientation of the north and south poles of a magnet and how they interact with other magnets.

4. How do atoms interact with magnetic fields?

Atoms contain charged particles, such as electrons, which are responsible for creating magnetic fields. When atoms are placed in a magnetic field, the charged particles will experience a force and may align themselves with the field, causing the atom to become magnetized.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in everyday life. They are used in technology, such as in hard drives and speakers, for medical imaging, in power generation and transportation, and in many household items, such as refrigerators and credit cards. They are also used in industrial processes, such as separating metals and purifying water.