1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent question about a launcher

1. Sep 5, 2004 #1
    Hi there!

My name is Lisa, and I live in the Netherlands (where school has already begun 2 weeks ago :surprised ). I have a pretty urgent question concerning a physics project. I need to think of a certain construction which launches an arrow/ dart arrow / marble from a variable angle.
    It's very important that the launcher uses a unique technique (not such as a crossbow, catapult, waterrocket etc). I really don't know a lot about launching items and here in the Netherlands I could not find a book/ site with hints. Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks! :biggrin:

Lisa de Vries

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2004 #2
    Compressed air would work, so would a compressed spring.

4. Sep 5, 2004 #3
    create a vacum shooter. Create a vacum in front of the barrel, and to fire, let air in from the gun barrel and get it the hell out of the way.

5. Sep 5, 2004 #4

GENIERE

Science Advisor

6. Sep 5, 2004 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I like the idea of having a hampster in a cage raise a weight, which drops on a see-saw to fling the marble. But I'm not sure how to make the release mechanism for the weight offhand.

Anyway, that's all that comes to mind for me - "Rube Goldberg".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook