Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent question about a launcher

1. Sep 5, 2004 #1
    Hi there!

My name is Lisa, and I live in the Netherlands (where school has already begun 2 weeks ago :surprised ). I have a pretty urgent question concerning a physics project. I need to think of a certain construction which launches an arrow/ dart arrow / marble from a variable angle.
    It's very important that the launcher uses a unique technique (not such as a crossbow, catapult, waterrocket etc). I really don't know a lot about launching items and here in the Netherlands I could not find a book/ site with hints. Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks! :biggrin:

Lisa de Vries

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2004 #2
    Compressed air would work, so would a compressed spring.

4. Sep 5, 2004 #3
    create a vacum shooter. Create a vacum in front of the barrel, and to fire, let air in from the gun barrel and get it the hell out of the way.

5. Sep 5, 2004 #4

GENIERE

Science Advisor

6. Sep 5, 2004 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I like the idea of having a hampster in a cage raise a weight, which drops on a see-saw to fling the marble. But I'm not sure how to make the release mechanism for the weight offhand.

Anyway, that's all that comes to mind for me - "Rube Goldberg".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?