Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent question - Bile and Lipase

1. Jan 14, 2005 #1
    Dear Sirs,

i would like to now exactly the role of these two substances in the process of fat digestion.

1. bile
    2.lipase

thank you for this lovely site, and i appreciate your kindness and generous to answer me this simple question which confused me a lot.

with my regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2005 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For Lipase,
    This is trick for the future. Any biological compount that finishes by "ase" is always an enzyme. The first portion of the name is descriptive of the function or taget of the enzyme. So lipids are degraded by an enzyme. So lipases break down neutral fats (triglycerides) into glycerol and fatty acids

For bile, it aids in the digestion and absorption of fats in the intestines and stimulates peristalsis. The role of bile is to break down fat into smaller units so lipases can degraded it.

4. Jan 15, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And madams :tongue:

Welcome to the forums :wink:

5. Jan 15, 2005 #4
    emulsification of fat

Dear Sirs,

i would like to thank you for answering my previous question.

i have 2 more questions that i need an answer for it:

1. i need a proper definition for the term "emulsification" of fat
    2. i want a proper distinguish between the artery and the vein in the heart.

many thanks

6. Jan 15, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For #1, see http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/smallgut/absorb_lipids.html for a definition and a good explanation of the process of digesting lipids, since it seems you have a number of questions on this.

For #2, there's a good mnemonic...Arteries lead Away from the heart. Veins then return blood to the heart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?