1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Question: Supp of a set of stochastic variables!

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been working on understanding concept fra Measure Theory known as support or supp

I know that according to the definition

if [tex](\mathcal{X},\mathcal{T})[/tex] is a topological space and [tex](\mathcal{X},\mathcal{T}, \mu)[/tex] such that the sigma Algebra A contain all open sets [tex]U \in \mathcal{T}[/tex]. Then the support on a measure [tex]\mu[/tex] is defined as the set of all points [tex]x \in \mathcal{X} [/tex] for which every open neighbourhood of x has a positve measure

[tex]\mathrm{supp}(\mu) = \{x \in X| \forall z \in Z \in N_{x} \in \mathcal{T}, \mu(N_{x}) > 0 \} [/tex]

Can this definition be used on a discrete stohastic vector [tex](Y,Z)[/tex] with the distributionfunction [tex]p_{Y,Z}[/tex]

[tex]P(Y = y, Z = z) = p_{Y,Z}(Y,Z) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}\frac{1}{2} \cdot e^{-\lambda} \frac{\lambda^z}{z!} & \mbox{where \ \mathrm{y $\in \{-1,0,1\}$} \mathrm{and} \mathrm{z $\in \{0,1,\ldots\}$}} \\ 0 & \mbox{\mathrm{other.}}\end{array} }\right[/tex]

where [tex]\lambda > 0[/tex]

I need to determine supp [tex] P_{Y,Z}[/tex]

Then by the definition of supp then the non-negative mesure on a meassurable space (Y,Z), is the function

[tex]P: \rightarrow ]-1,1[ \ \mathrm{x} \ ]0,\infty [[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The supp is is it then the set of all subsets which the measure operates on?

3. The attempt at a solution

Therefore the support [tex]supp \ p_{(Y,Z)} = supp(P) = \{y \in Y| \forall z \in Z , P(Y,Z) > 0\}[/tex]

Sincerely Yours
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?