1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Spring Compression Problem

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use work and energy to solve the following. A .1 kg ball is placed against a massless spring that has a stretch constant 50,000 N/m and is compressed 2 m. The spring fires the ball straight up. a) How far did the ball rise assuming no friction? b) The ball's actual rise was 2m short of the answer in part A. What was the frictional work done by air?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured out part A to be 102,038 m... which seems outrageous, but the numbers in this problem are also outrageous. I'm really just struggling on how to do B or even attempt it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to show some work to get help here. How did you end up with your answer in part a?
  4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    I used the equation (KE + PEg + PEs)i = (KE + PEg + PEs)f

(h=distance traveled)

therefore, 1/2ky^2=mg(h+y)
    so 1/2(50,000N/m)(4m)^2=.1kg(9.8m/s^2)(h+2m)
  5. Apr 21, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks correct, but as you say, the numbers given are outrageous. And if air friction causes the ball to stop 2 feet short of 102,038', that's not even significant enough to bother with. I think the problem just chose a poor set of numbers. But for part B, in general, what do you know about the relationship between work done by non conservative forces, and mechanical energy?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?