1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Tangential Speed Question

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the rotation of a planet of radius 5.99x10^6 m and free-fall acceleration 7.87 m/s^2 increased to the point that the centripetal acceleration was equal to the gravitational acceleration at the equator, what would be the tangential speed of a person standing at the equator?

2. Relevant equations
    Vt=rW (tangential velocity equals radius times omega, or angular velocity)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know how to go about solving this. The way the problem is set up is confusing to me. This is the only problem out 30 some-odd questions that I have not done correctly. My homework is due at 12:00 tonight and I have almost an A, but this question is really bothering me. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you're not on Eastern Standard Time. You are given the gravitational acceleration. What's the formula for centripetal acceleration? Set them equal.. you'll be going real fast....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook