1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent: Tell if this is Reflexive, transitive, symmetric?

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine if the following relation is reflexive, transitive, symmetric or anti-symmetric.
    (A,B) element of R(relation) if for every epsilon > 0, there exists a element of A and b element of B with |a-b| < epsilon.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already proved that this is a reflexive relation (please correct me if I'm wrong):
    Let (A,B) be in R.
    Prove that (A,A) is also in R.
    NTS: For all a element of A and b element of A, |a-b| < epsilon ; epsilon>0
    Proof:
    Let a be element of A and b element of A (also).
    |a E A - b E A| ?< epsilon
    for simplicity we can write it: |a-a| < epsilon, which is true for all a and b because there's a chance that a and b will be equal since they're taken in the same set. We are sure that 0 < epsilon because epsilon > 0 by our assumption.

Now, how can I show that this is also transitive? and symmetric or antisymmetric?
    Minor question, do I need to confirm that sets A and B are mutually exclusive to each other?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You haven't told us what A and B are. One might guess they are (non-empty?) subsets of the real numbers. Is that right?

To prove R is reflexive you need to show (A,A) in R for all A. You don't start with "Let (A,B) in R".
    That is a very confused paragraph. All you need to write is: Suppose ##\epsilon > 0##. Pick any a in A (A is non-empty?). ##|a - a|=0 < \epsilon## so (A,A) is in R.
    Write down carefully what you need to prove as a first step. If it seems reasonable, try to prove it, otherwise see if you can make a counterexample.
    Who knows? Like I said above, you haven't even told us what A and B are.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook