1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent test In 58 Minutes

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    Urgent...test In 58 Minutes!!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am having a hard time figuring out how to calculate the current in a circuit consisting of 2 batteries and numerous resistors. Unfortunautely the problem I am trying to do is in my book so I can't post a picture. But if someone can give me a general idea of how to approach these kinds of problems I would greatly appreaciate it!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Replace blocks of resistors in paralle with a single equivalent resistor.
    Remember that voltage drops accross each resistor in a circuit must add up to the battery voltage.
    current through all resistors in series must bee the same.

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    have you learnt kirchoff's laws before? learning your concepts right before your exam is not good.

5. Feb 14, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

It's kind of difficult to help you if you haven't posted a specific problem. But you only need to use Kirchoff's voltage law and Kirchoff's current law here. Remember that the potential difference across a resistor is simply V = IR. Start by labeling currents in the circuit as I1, I2, I3 etc.

Well, that's all I can say without any more input from you.

EDIT: To mgb_phys advice I would add that you should always replace resistors in series with equivalent resistors. Kinda obvious I know.

This is a little off-track but it seems like you're panicking over something which you probably know how to do outside of exams. Have a look through your tutorials to refresh your memory.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  6. Feb 14, 2008 #5
    I redrew the picture with 2 batteries 1 on each side and 2 resistors 1 on top and 1 bottom. Now that I calculated the current through the top resistor how do I work backwards to calculate the current through the each individual resistors that make up that equivalent resistor? Does that make sense?

7. Feb 14, 2008 #6
    I ended up with having a 12 V bat on the left side of the circuit then a 24 Ohm Resistor on the top, a 3 V bat on the right and a 3 Ohm Resistor on the bottom. Also how do I know which bat to use to calculate the current?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?