Urgent! Max Heat Withdrawn from Low-Temp Reservoir

In summary, the thermodynamic refrigerator allows the expansion of a monatomic ideal gas from an initial volume of 10 liters to a final volume of 15 liters while maintaining a temperature of 400K. The work done is used to drive the thermodynamic refrigerator, and the maximum amount of heat that can be withdrawn from the low-temperature reservoir is Q_{12}=-W_{12}.
Telemachus
Urgent! Thermodynamic refrigerator

Homework Statement

One mole of a monatomic ideal gas is allowed to expand isothermally from an initial volume of 10 liters to a final volume of 15 liters, the temperature being maintained at 400K. The work delivered is used to drive a thermodynamic refrigerator operating between reservoirs of temperatures 200 and 300K. What is the maximum of heat withdrawn from the low-temperature reservoir?

This is what I did:
[tex]u=cRT \rightarrow T=\frac{cR}{u}[/tex]

[tex]Pv=RT \rightarrow P=\frac{RT}{v}[/tex]

[tex]u=cRT=constant[/tex]

[tex]du=\frac{u}{cR}ds-\frac{RT}{v}dv=0 \rightarrow \Delta s=r \ln\frac{v_f}{v_0}[/tex]

[tex]Q_{12}=T \Delta S=400R \ln 1.5=-W_{12}[/tex]

The thing is I'm having a negative work. I assume I'm making something wrong, I just can't see the mistake.

I have my exam tomorrow, so any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

One mole of a monatomic ideal gas is allowed to expand isothermally from an initial volume of 10 liters to a final volume of 15 liters, the temperature being maintained at 400K. The work delivered is used to drive a thermodynamic refrigerator operating between reservoirs of temperatures 200 and 300K. What is the maximum of heat withdrawn from the low-temperature reservoir?

This is what I did:
[tex]u=cRT \rightarrow T=\frac{cR}{u}[/tex]

[tex]Pv=RT \rightarrow P=\frac{RT}{v}[/tex]

[tex]u=cRT=constant[/tex]

[tex]du=\frac{u}{cR}ds-\frac{RT}{v}dv=0 \rightarrow \Delta s=r \ln\frac{v_f}{v_0}[/tex]

[tex]Q_{12}=T \Delta S=400R \ln 1.5=-W_{12}[/tex]

The thing is I'm having a negative work. I assume I'm making something wrong, I just can't see the mistake.

I have my exam tomorrow, so any help will be appreciated.
It is not that complicated. Calculating the work done by the gas is fairly straight forward and does not require calculation of the heat flow:

[tex]W = \int_{V_0}^{V_f}PdV = \int_{V_0}^{V_f}RTdV/V = RT\ln(V_f/V_0) = RT\ln(1.5)[/tex]

If you set [itex]\Delta Q = -W[/itex] you are stating that W is the work done ON the gas. So in your result [itex]W_{12}[/itex] is the work done ON the gas.

AM

Thanks!

I have another problem now.
I've proceeded this way with the exercise. From then, I've made a scheme, similar to the exercise you helped me before (I think its pretty much like the same).

attachment.php?attachmentid=34948&stc=1&d=1303914541.png

[tex]\ln \frac{T_{AF}}{T_{A0}}=\ln \frac{T_{BF}}{T_{0F}} \rightarrow T_{AF}=\frac{2T_{BF}}{3}[/tex]

[tex]W=Q_h-Q_c \rightarrow 400\ln(1.5)=\frac{3}{2}(T_{BF}-300)-\frac{3}{2}(T_{AF}-200)\rightarrow T_{BF}\approx 624K[/tex]

Now, I try to get Qc, but I think the result I get is wrong, I don't want you to make the numbers, just want you to tell me if what I did is wrong, or if its okey and the mistake is given by a simple error of calculus.

[tex]Q_c=W-Q_h \rightarrow Qc=-400R\ln(1.5)+R\frac{3}{2}(624-300)[/tex]
It gives [tex]Q_c \approx R 324[/tex]
I think it doesn't make much sense this result. But I'm not sure. The impression it gave me is that its bigger than the internal energy of the system A for it's initial state, which will be a big contradiction. U0=cRT=3/2 R 200K

Thank you so very very much for your predisposition for helping and your fast answer!

Attachments

• tter.PNG
    tter.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 446

1. What is "Urgent! Max Heat Withdrawn from Low-Temp Reservoir"?

"Urgent! Max Heat Withdrawn from Low-Temp Reservoir" refers to a situation where the maximum amount of heat has been withdrawn from a low-temperature reservoir. This is typically used in thermodynamics and engineering to describe a process where heat is transferred from a lower temperature region to a higher temperature region.

2. Why is it urgent to withdraw max heat from a low-temp reservoir?

It is urgent to withdraw max heat from a low-temp reservoir because if heat is not transferred from the lower temperature region to the higher temperature region, it can lead to an imbalance in the system and potentially cause damage. Additionally, the transfer of heat is often necessary for a process to function properly.

3. How is the maximum amount of heat determined and withdrawn from a low-temp reservoir?

The maximum amount of heat that can be withdrawn from a low-temp reservoir is determined by the difference in temperature between the low-temperature reservoir and the higher temperature region. The larger the temperature difference, the more heat can be transferred. The withdrawal of heat can be achieved through various methods such as conduction, convection, and radiation.

4. What are the potential applications of "Urgent! Max Heat Withdrawn from Low-Temp Reservoir"?

"Urgent! Max Heat Withdrawn from Low-Temp Reservoir" has various applications in the fields of engineering, thermodynamics, and heat transfer. It is commonly used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, and other industrial processes where heat transfer is crucial for efficient operation.

5. Are there any risks associated with withdrawing max heat from a low-temp reservoir?

While withdrawing maximum heat from a low-temp reservoir is necessary for certain processes, it can also pose some risks. If the transfer of heat is not controlled properly, it can lead to an increase in temperature in the higher temperature region, potentially causing damage or malfunction. It is important to carefully monitor and regulate the heat transfer process to prevent any potential risks.