TI-89 Titanium: Converting x Function to y Function

In summary, the person is struggling to figure out how to make a function for y using the calculator's Y= Editor. They have spent an hour reading the manual and TI-89Titanium for dummies but have not found an answer. They have tried converting an x function into a y function but it only graphs half of the function. They are then given instructions on how to graph x=f(y) by switching to parametric mode and setting values in the WINDOW. They confirm that this works and ask if they have to change the WINDOW values for each graph. The expert confirms that it depends on the situation.
apples
OK, this is driving me nuts. I am learning how to use the calculator, and I can make perfect graphs for any function for x using the Y= Editor
For ex. f(x)=y="function"

But how do I make a a function for y? ex. f(y)=x="function"
I jus spent an hour reading the manual and TI-89Titanium for dummies. I can't find an answer.

If I convert the x function into a y function it won't be sufficient

because for a function like x=y^2
it would be y= ("under root")2
This would graph only half the function.

Please help me

Thank you,

Computer science news on Phys.org
apples said:
OK, this is driving me nuts. I am learning how to use the calculator, and I can make perfect graphs for any function for x using the Y= Editor
For ex. f(x)=y="function"

But how do I make a a function for y? ex. f(y)=x="function"
I jus spent an hour reading the manual and TI-89Titanium for dummies. I can't find an answer.

If I convert the x function into a y function it won't be sufficient

because for a function like x=y^2
it would be y= ("under root")2
This would graph only half the function.

Please help me

Thank you,

To graph x =f(y), switch to the parametric mode for graphing, and set xt1 = f(t) and yt1=t.

Your example becomes

xt1=t^2
yt1=t

In WINDOW, set, for example,

tmin = -2
tmax = 2
xmin = 0
xmax = 4
ymin = -2
ymax = 2

This still doesn't give the correct graph. It's supposed to give a parabola, but it's only giving half of it. Still the same problem

it won't give anything for a negative y value.

apples said:
This still doesn't give the correct graph. It's supposed to give a parabola, but it's only giving half of it. Still the same problem

it won't give anything for a negative y value.

What I detailed in my previous post gives a full parabola on my TI-89. I am puzzled.

Did you use the values for Window that I gave?

Bingo!
Got it.
Thanks a lot!

Btw, Do I have to set the minimum and maximum values every time in the WINDOW?

apples said:
Btw, Do I have to set the minimum and maximum values every time in the WINDOW?

In any graphing mode, including function and parametric modes, the minimum and maximum value s in WINDOW might have to be changed when moving from graph to graph. It depends on the individual situations; sometimes no change is necessary.

All right. Thanks a lot!

1. How do I convert a function in terms of x to a function in terms of y on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To convert a function from x to y on the TI-89 Titanium calculator, follow these steps:1. Press the "Mode" button and select "Function" from the menu.2. Enter your function in terms of x into the "y=" screen.3. Press the "Graph" button to graph the function.4. Press the "2nd" button and then the "Trace" button to access the "CALC" menu.5. Select "Value" from the menu and enter the desired x-value.6. Press "Enter" to calculate the corresponding y-value.

2. Can I convert a function in terms of x to a function in terms of y on the TI-89 Titanium calculator without graphing it?

Yes, you can convert a function from x to y on the TI-89 Titanium calculator without graphing it. Follow the same steps as mentioned in the previous answer, but instead of pressing the "Graph" button in step 3, press the "2nd" button and then the "Zoom" button. Select "0:ZoomFit" from the menu to view the entire graph, and then follow the remaining steps as mentioned.

3. Is there a way to convert multiple x functions to y functions on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

Yes, you can convert multiple x functions to y functions on the TI-89 Titanium calculator by using the "Table" feature. Follow these steps:1. Press the "Window" button and adjust the settings for the x-values.2. Press the "2nd" button and then the "Table" button.3. Select "Start" from the menu and enter the starting x-value.4. Select "Step" from the menu and enter the difference between each x-value.5. Press "Enter" to generate a table of x and y values for the function.

4. Can I convert a complex function from x to y on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

Yes, you can convert a complex function from x to y on the TI-89 Titanium calculator. Simply enter the complex function in terms of x into the "y=" screen, and then follow the same steps as mentioned in the first answer to calculate the corresponding y-values for any given x-value.

5. Is there a way to save converted functions on the TI-89 Titanium calculator for future use?

Yes, you can save converted functions on the TI-89 Titanium calculator for future use. Press the "Apps" button and select "Data/Matrix Editor" from the menu. Press the "F1" button and then the "New" button to create a new list. Enter the x-values in the first column and the corresponding y-values in the second column. Press "F2" and then "Save" to save the data. You can then access and use this data in any function or program on the calculator.