1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

*Urgent* trig integral

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1
    For the integral from sqrt(2) to 2

of
    1 over x*sqrt(t^(2) - 1) dx

I noticed that this was just the arcsece, so I got arcsec(x) for the answer, but how would I evaluated this at 2 and sqrt(2)?????

What did i do wrong?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2007 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Why are there 2 variables in your integral? Is t supposed to be there? Can it be treated as a constant for this question?

4. Dec 16, 2007 #3
    more clarity and a little more work would be appreciated

5. Dec 16, 2007 #4
    Ok, the integral is:

1 over x*sqrt(x^(2) - 1) dx

--> which I evaluated to be arcsec (x),but this doesn't make sense with the limits of integration...

6. Dec 16, 2007 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well if you want to find arcsec([itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]) you can always work it out like this:

Let [itex]\alpha=sec^{-1}(\sqrt{2})[/itex]

so that [itex]sec\alpha=\sqrt{2}[/itex]
    and therefore [itex]cos\alpha=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] and then you find [itex]\alpha[/itex]

OR...somewhere in you attempt you would have used the substitution x=sec[itex]\theta[/itex] so from there you could have gotten [itex]\theta=cos^{-1}(\frac{1}{x})[/itex] and use that instead of arcsec

7. Dec 16, 2007 #6
    Oh my god!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?