1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent - Verify Solutions to Dynamics Problems

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are driving home from the cottage and pulling a trailer behind your car. There is a steep hill with a 12 degree incline that you must drive up. You read the instructions for the trailer hitch which keeps the trailer attached to your car. The hitch can withstand a maximum force of 4.3 x 10^3 N. The car has a mass of 1.1 x 10^3 kg. The trailer has a total mass (including the stuff inside) of 2.7 x 10^2 kg. There is rolling friction between the trailer and road with μr = 0.15 (treat this just like kinetic friction). You start from the bottom of the hill at rest (a stop sign). What is the top speed you could achieve after driving 45.0 m up the hill?

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a FBD of the trailer and then made the assumption that the maximum Ft (force of tension) pulling the trailer is 4.3 x 10^3 N. I then isolated variable 'a', and ascertained an acceleration of 14.5 m/s^2.

I then determined the maximum velocity to be 36 m/s. Can anyone verify this value?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2
    Your procedure seems right. Hopefully you included all other forces such as the Normal and the Friction into your calculation.

4. Nov 6, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I only get 12.45. Did you perhaps omit the component of gravity parallel to the slope?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook