• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Urn problem

Homework Statement

You have an urn that contains n balls labeled with the natural numbers {1,2,3,...,n} and you extract n balls from the urn (with the condition that a ball may not be returned to the urn once drawn). You have to determine the distribution of X=(X1,X2,...,Xn), where Xk is the number of the ball from the k-th extraction.

Homework Equations

For Z a discrete random variable, that can take the values 1, ..., n

Probability Distribution
p(z)=P(Z=z)

Cumulative Distribution Function
F(z)=P(Z<z)

where z is in {1,....,n}

The Attempt at a Solution

There are n! possible cases.

Xk (k={1,...,n}) are discrete random variable. Before the k-th extraction in the urn there are n-k+1 balls left with the probability of occurrence = 1/(n-k+1) and Xk are discrete random variable:

1 2 ..... n​
X1: ( 1/n 1/n ...... 1/n )

considering i1 the number of the ball extracted on the first extraction, we have:

1 ... i1-1 i1 i1+1 .. n​
X2: ( 1/(n-1) ... 1/(n-1) 0 1/(n-1) .. 1/(n-1) )

that means that for i1 the probability of occurrence = 0.

before the last extraction there is 1 ball left in urn, that obviously, has the probability of occurrence = 1.

I have no clue what to do next and I need it to demonstrate something for a bigger project. I do not ask you for the solution, I just need some hints.

P.S.: I hope you will understand what I wrote here, I've tried my best. Sorry if you don't, english is not my native language.

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The probability that the first ball is labeled [itex]x_1[/itex] for any [itex]x_1[/itex] is 1/n. The probability that the second ball is labeled [itex]x_2[/itex] for any [itex]x_2[/itex] other than [itex]x_1[/tex] is 1/(n-1), etc. Thus the probability [itex]P(X)= P(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n)[/itex][itex]= (1/n)(1/(n-1))(1/(n-2))..., (1/2)(1/1)= 1/n![/itex] as long as X is a permutation of (1, 2, 3,..., n) and 0 if it is not (that is, if the same integer occurs more than once in the "X"s).

The probability that the first ball is labeled [itex]x_1[/itex] for any [itex]x_1[/itex] is 1/n. The probability that the second ball is labeled [itex]x_2[/itex] for any [itex]x_2[/itex] other than [itex]x_1[/tex] is 1/(n-1), etc. Thus the probability [itex]P(X)= P(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n)[/itex][itex]= (1/n)(1/(n-1))(1/(n-2))..., (1/2)(1/1)= 1/n![/itex] as long as X is a permutation of (1, 2, 3,..., n) and 0 if it is not (that is, if the same integer occurs more than once in the "X"s).
That is logic, cause it's: the number of favorable cases/number of posible cases => 1/n!
Also you can't say P(X), you have to say P(X=value) or P(X<value), so the corect way is: P(X=(x1,.....xn))=P(X1=x1, .....Xn=xn)

What I do not know is how to put the condition: X is a permutation of (1, 2, ....,n), meaning that I don't not how to express the dependecies between X1 and X2 , between X2 and X3 and so on...

If I didn't have the condition: X is a permutation of (1, 2, ....,n), in other words if they where independent, I could say that E[Xi]=(n+1)/ 2 and Var(Xi)= (n-1)2/12, but they aren't independent.

How can I calculate the mean and Var in this case?