Max Velocity, Time, Distance w/ 2 Thrusters & 1 Upward Thruster

In summary, the conversation is about solving a technical scenario involving a UROV with 2 forward and 1 upward thrusters. The goal is to determine the Max Velocity, Time, and Distance traveled based on a max thrust of 5 N for 1 motor/propeller. The weight of the robot is 5.68 lbs and the testing is taking place in a chlorine pool. The speaker was initially attempting to use F=ma and constant acceleration equations, but ran into issues with too many unknown variables.
chrispet
Im working with a UROV and I have a technical scenario that I am supposed to solve. It seems pretty easy but i keep getting ridiculous answers.

Assuming a max thrust of 5 N for 1 motor/propeller, for the forward direction only, use the above information to determine the Max Velocity, the Time to achieve this velocity and the Distance traveled. Please be sure to state all assumptions.
Calculate the Drag Force at Max Velocity

My robot has 2 thrusters thrusting forward and 1 upward, it weighs 5.68 lbs, and we are testing them a chlorine pool.

I was trying to use F=ma to get the acceleration then use constant accel equations to get the other parts but I think there's too many unkowns.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like homework

1. What is the formula for calculating max velocity with 2 thrusters and 1 upward thruster?

The formula for calculating max velocity with 2 thrusters and 1 upward thruster is Vmax = (F1 + F2 + F3)/(m * t), where F1 and F2 are the forces generated by the 2 thrusters, F3 is the force generated by the upward thruster, m is the mass of the object, and t is the time.

2. How do the thrusters affect the time it takes to reach max velocity?

The thrusters can affect the time it takes to reach max velocity in two ways. Firstly, the strength of the thrusters will determine the acceleration of the object, which in turn affects the time it takes to reach max velocity. Secondly, the direction of the thrusters can also affect the time as using an upward thruster will require more time to reach max velocity compared to using only horizontal thrusters.

3. Can the distance traveled by an object be affected by the thrusters?

Yes, the distance traveled by an object can be affected by the thrusters. The strength and direction of the thrusters will determine the acceleration and velocity of the object, which will ultimately affect the distance traveled.

4. How can the upward thruster be utilized to achieve the maximum distance?

The upward thruster can be utilized to achieve the maximum distance by using it in combination with the horizontal thrusters. By using the upward thruster at the right time and in the right direction, it can help the object maintain its momentum and cover a greater distance.

5. Are there any other factors besides the thruster strength and direction that can affect the max velocity, time, and distance?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the max velocity, time, and distance. These include the mass and shape of the object, air resistance, and external forces such as gravity. These factors must be taken into consideration when calculating and predicting the max velocity, time, and distance of an object with thrusters.