The US Defence Budget: A Misallocation of Resources?

In summary: It's arguable that the US spends too much on defense, considering the amount of wealth we have and the amount of violence we see in the world. However, the defense of our nation is a necessary evil and should not be taken lightly.Originally posted by maximus It's arguable that the US spends too much on defense, considering the amount of wealth we have and the amount of violence we see in the world. However, the defense of our nation is a necessary evil and should not be taken lightly.
maximus
i read somewhere that the US defence budget is over three times that of the next highest nation and that we spend about 400 billion dollars annually on it. i can't help but think what would happen if we cut the budget by just a fraction and moved it into say education. we would have some of the finest schools in the world! why must we project sych an attitude into the world? such feelings of nessessary defence only add to the world's unrest. why can't we use our wealth better. god, i get so frusterated with this nation! [g) we are greedy pigs and war mongerers! (sorry I'm sort of venting) but why do we need this sheild, for christ's sake we are manifesting our own fears by doing it.
can i get some feedback?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by maximus
why must we project sych an attitude into the world? such feelings of nessessary defence only add to the world's unrest.
Chicken and the egg with this point though, surely.

True, but we're also by far the richest nation: defense spending is only 16% of the federal budget, and 3.2% of GDP. The world average for defense spending is about 3% of GDP.

In essence the USA is subsidizing the defense of its allies, namely NATO, Japan, etc. Arguably, this level of spending helps assure a relatively stable world free of large-scale warfare, as well as preventing an expensive and risky global arms race.

Originally posted by damgo
In essence the USA is subsidizing the defense of its allies, namely NATO, Japan, etc. Arguably, this level of spending helps assure a relatively stable world free of large-scale warfare, as well as preventing an expensive and risky global arms race.
Not just "in essence" - its by law (for Japan anyway). Its part of the WWII peace treaty that in exchange for Japan having a limited military, the US would provide for the defense of Japan.

The current situation is simply an extension of NATO, which is a mutual defense treaty. If any country in the western world is attacked, the US will defend it. Many countries have used this fact as a reason to slash their own defense spending. After the fall of the USSR, this left the US with by far the most powerful military in the world. And that of course both pleases and scares a lot of people.

you also have to take into account the amount of money it costs just to employ all of the personnel that work for the military and all of they equipment that they use.

Hmm... whatever happened to Rumsfeld's plans for a more streamlined, versatile and cost effective military?

Originally posted by FZ+
Hmm... whatever happened to Rumsfeld's plans for a more streamlined, versatile and cost effective military?
He's done some good, but there is a long way to go. Its neither easy nor quick to rebuild the military.

Right. Rumsvelt, hey isn't that a German name? Aw he's just another tool like Fleischer.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
Right. Rumsvelt, hey isn't that a German name? Aw he's just another tool like Fleischer.
So the Bush administration is just a bunch of Nazis and Jews? Ohhhhh, so THATS why there is so much infighting. Lmao.

Hey, I never said they were Nazis. I just like to point out the few instances where they use tried and true methods employed by not only the Nazis but other guys in history. Obviously they're not racist against Jews.

Originally posted by russ_watters
So the Bush administration is just a bunch of Nazis and Jews? Ohhhhh, so THATS why there is so much infighting. Lmao.

LOL I think you suggested that... not schwarzchildradius

i read somewhere that the US defence budget is over three times that of the next highest nation and that we spend about 400 billion dollars annually on it.

Guys, you are the biggest most powerful nation on this planet. You need defence against who?

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Guys, you are the biggest most powerful nation on this planet. You need defence against who?

It's not all spent in defense of our nation, much is spent in the defense of our interests, including those in other countries. An example would be the 50 billion+ a year we have been spending to protect Saudi Arabia and it's oil.

Originally posted by kat
It's not all spent in defense of our nation, much is spent in the defense of our interests, including those in other countries. An example would be the 50 billion+ a year we have been spending to protect Saudi Arabia and it's oil.

just a thought, but maybe you shouldn't pump money in other countries. I know my government is good at taking money from others and making them dissapear...
I wouldn't trust the arabs much...

The military budget is overloaded with politically-motivated purchases of bad equipment at overinflated prices. Also, the Repugnicans WANT social programs to fail. That is their goal.

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Until just a few years ago, that answer was clear. Now with the end of the Cold War, the US is redefining its military & defense strategies. It seems that our historically big military which was designed to ward off other big militaries is not quite the right fit for dealing with our new concern...small pockets of terrorist groups scattered across the world (including inside countries that we consider allies).

Originally posted by maximus
i can't help but think what would happen if we cut the budget by just a fraction and moved it into say education. we would have some of the finest schools in the world!

The U.S. already has some of the finest schools in the world. :smile: (universities in particular)

But yeah, there are countless other worthy programs that could be considered...or we could even lower taxes.

Overall, I think the US military is changing...but I'm not so sure that it will be any cheaper.

That's an understatement! Behind all this is an idealistic effort to convert the public services to private enterprises, is a mainstream opinion. The national annual debt ceiling has been raised, quietly, last month in order to avoid a national default. The sky's the limit on hand-selected military contractors.
After (SEC) handing out fines to Worldcom, the pentagon is giving them hundreds of millions in contracts, effectively laundering the fruits of their monumental fraud for them. How sweet.

1. What is the current status of the US defence budget?

The current US defence budget for fiscal year 2021 is approximately $753.5 billion. This includes funding for the Department of Defense, as well as other military agencies and programs.

2. How does the US defence budget compare to other countries?

The US defence budget is significantly larger than that of any other country in the world. In fact, it is larger than the next 10 countries' defence budgets combined.

3. How is the US defence budget allocated?

The largest portion of the US defence budget goes towards personnel costs, including salaries, benefits, and healthcare for military personnel. The rest is divided among operations and maintenance, procurement, research and development, and other programs.

4. What are some arguments against the US defence budget?

Critics of the US defence budget argue that it is bloated and excessive, and that the country could redirect some of those funds towards other important areas such as education, healthcare, and infrastructure. They also point out that the US military has a history of wasteful spending and inefficiency.

5. What are the potential consequences of misallocating resources towards defence?

Misallocating resources towards defence can have a significant impact on the overall economy and well-being of the country. It can lead to a decrease in funding for important social programs and infrastructure, as well as contribute to a growing national debt. Additionally, relying too heavily on military solutions may lead to increased conflict and strain on international relationships.