US 'cell assault' video released

• Thread starter cristo
  • Start date

Art

the kind that would make any parent smack their kid.
Any parent?? Not this one. I have never and would never lay a hand on my kids.

Essentially yes. Our emotional reactions and calls for actions are much better placed on problems that affect more people. Every 12 minutes, someone dies in a car accident in the US. It makes much more sense to focus effort and emotion on that issue than feeling sorry for a trouble-making girl who got treated a little rough.
Using the logic of just numbers terrorism is no more than a minor irritant hardly worth reporting and yet as I remember your reaction to 9/11 was somewhat stronger than that.

I suspect such apparent callousness to how this girl was treated stems more from a blind subservience to figures of authority than any truly rational thinking. Were you smacked a lot when you were young by any chance?

siddharth

Homework Helper
Gold Member
russ_watters said:
Essentially yes. Our emotional reactions and calls for actions are much better placed on problems that affect more people. Every 12 minutes, someone dies in a car accident in the US. It makes much more sense to focus effort and emotion on that issue than feeling sorry for a trouble-making girl who got treated a little rough.
Well, I think that's a crazy comparision. Car accidents are usually a random phenomenon, and not a result of a deliberate act by a trusted member of society. IMO, it's like saying that we shouldn't worry about incidents of terrorism when compared to accidental falls, because the number of individuals dying due to falls is much more.

I think such incidents of police brutality may be further minimized by better screening and criminal prosecution of the abusive cops, which is why I think public scrutiny and response to such incidents are important.

russ_watters said:
who got treated a little rough.
If you think that's a "little rough", I can't imagine what you think would qualify as a criminal assault.

russ_watters said:
Such treatment of an older man would not provoke this reaction.
I would tend to disagree with that. This is a graphic video of allegedly similar treatment of an older woman (although, off-camera) and I think it is quite terrible, and it did provoke a similar reaction. And another incident with a white male bicyclist provoked a similar response which led to the cop being fired.

Last edited:

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You clearly didn't watch the video if you class this as treating someone "a little rough[ly]"!

The police are supposed to uphold the law. If this was just some man hitting a girl, then whilst I wouldn't have condoned it, it wouldn't have as much of an impact. But this isn't just some guy on the street, it's way more important than that: it's a police officer assaulting a girl, in a police station.

This case got a sympathetic response because the victim was young and female.
The case got a sympathetic response because the victim is a child. Children are supposed to be protected by society, not assaulted by the very characters put in place as role models of society.

1) It seems to put 100% of blame on the officer which is simple not true.

It just make their profession complicated. They get lots of negative opinions from the media even when things are out of control and they can't do more than screwing up something.
because policemen should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen when it comes to being in control of one's emotions. I don't care *what* that girl could have possibly been saying or what attitude she was giving; his reaction is 100% his fault.

If you can't handle a moody 15 year old girl, you should not be given authorities and responsibilities that are above those of the average citizen; you should not be a cop.

And, judging by his reaction, they are not even at the level of the average citizen. his reaction would have been excessive even if she had moved to kick or punch him; she posed no real threat and he is clearly capable of easily overpowering her. such an outburst of violence would be inappropriate under any circumstance short of her having been holding a weapon.

If you can't handle a moody 15 year old girl, you should not be given authorities and responsibilities that are above those of the average citizen; you should not be a cop.
Yes, exactly. He shouldn't have his policeman position. Putting all the blame on him and taking away his position wouldn't solve this problem (if you consider this as a serious problem) and neither it would be fair.
I do believe that they need to have greater control over themselves but they aren't perfectionists. They make mistakes!
If you set their standards too high, you wouldn't get enough policemen.

Why is not true, in this instance? The police officer had no justification for his behaviour, irrespective of the behavior of the girl (who was a minor, and did not pose any physical threat). I think this officer deserves 100% of the blame.
See above post.

Why is that? I think that it's important to give public scrutiny to such incidents, especially when we consider the powers and responsibilities which is expected of the police. I've seen a worrying number of such incidents of late, and public exposure could raise awareness of certain problems in the system, and might lead to measures to correct it.
They can't get fair trails for professional misconduct if the case gets more than required public scrutiny/media focus. It's better to have a good regulation body that considers the case rather than subjecting it to public opinions.

Last edited:

Scuzzle

Imprisonment and psychological rehabilitation. It matters not how much someone acts like an ******* or swears, force is never the answer unless it is for self defense.

That being said, I'm not surprised at this at all. Almost all that is required to become a police officer is that the applicant doesn't have a history of mental illness or a criminal background, and that they be relatively healthy and in shape. Besides that, the screening process isn't very rigorous.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Imprisonment and psychological rehabilitation. It matters not how much someone acts like an ******* or swears, force is never the answer unless it is for self defense.

That being said, I'm not surprised at this at all. Almost all that is required to become a police officer is that the applicant doesn't have a history of mental illness or a criminal background, and that they be relatively healthy and in shape. Besides that, the screening process isn't very rigorous.
Please. My town is right next to http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_56314.html" [Broken]. This is 12 years ago, but it is still interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please. My town is right next to http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_56314.html" [Broken]. This is 12 years ago, but it is still interesting.
What a stupid attitude. Any intelligent person would know how to get the target score :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddies and I got arrested for possession of hashish and underage drinking in 1976. At the police station, we laughed at a policeman attempting to reassemble my bong. He then said with a wry smile "if they move, shoot them." The threat was all too real. After 35 years, I still remember the name of the arresting officer - Officer Snook(s).

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
"Snickering follows Mountie's claim he feared man with stapler"

The judge in the case here of a man coincidentally dieing after being tazered at Vancouver airport has asked the jury not to laugh as the mounties describe how they feared for their lives as the man held a stapler.

"Snickering follows Mountie's claim he feared man with stapler"

The judge in the case here of a man coincidentally dieing after being tazered at Vancouver airport has asked the jury not to laugh as the mounties describe how they feared for their lives as the man held a stapler.

.......wait. Was it aa red swingline? I totally understand their fear.

It's on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPe_hf7aBXM

Wow, this guy needs to be behind bars. He killed a guy that ran back to his car, he fired 11 times!!
He killed a man that tried to strangle him to death, not running from the police or talking back. And firing 11 times isn't a big deal, it's one clip. It can/is fired off in about 2 seconds.

That being said, what happened in the video, from what can be seen, is pretty much a criminal offence.

I don't see what the officers did wrong in the video, that guy was loony.

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
My buddies and I got arrested for possession of hashish and underage drinking in 1976. At the police station, we laughed at a policeman attempting to reassemble my bong. He then said with a wry smile "if they move, shoot them." The threat was all too real. After 35 years, I still remember the name of the arresting officer - Officer Snook(s).
He was just reminding you who was in charge.

It worked. You still remember.

Now if people could only learn their homework so easily.

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I don't see what the officers did wrong in the video, that guy was loony.
Immigration had been sending him back and forth for 8hours.
After they killed him they decided not to call medical help
They had little a little 'dress rehersal' of their story afterwards

whether he was loony or not (context, context, context-- for example, was he fluent in English? my understanding is a translator was necessary and not provided... how would you be acting after 8 hours of being screwed with, in a foreign country where you don't speak the language, after a long flight... and the cops show up!), either way, it doesn't matter. this is why they are (supposedly) trained: not just to learn how to take down an individual, but to assess the situation and how much force is necessary when doing so.

they could've easily tackled him and cuffed him.

frustrated guy with stapler => minor threat => try not to electrocute the guy to death

maybe that's just me though.