US Department of Homeland Security: Don't Use IE

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Security
In summary, the US Department of Homeland Security is a federal agency responsible for protecting the United States from threats and ensuring the safety and security of its citizens. They are advising against using Internet Explorer due to security vulnerabilities that could put users' personal information at risk. The potential risks of using Internet Explorer include exposure to personal information, malware, and phishing attacks. Instead, the Department recommends using alternative web browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. While having antivirus software can provide some level of protection, it is still not safe to use Internet Explorer as new vulnerabilities and attacks can still occur.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,64065,00.html?tw=wn_story_page_prev2

If you haven't switched to Mozila yet what are you waiting for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Lol! I switched from netscape to mozilla to phoenix/konqueror (when it was ubber young).

Now I've vastly improved myself by getting a mac and using those on this. Camino, safari, firefox.

I laugh at that article. Every web developper i know is saying the same thing. IE is soo frustrating to design for.

As a government agency responsible for protecting the security of our nation, the US Department of Homeland Security's recommendation to not use Internet Explorer is a clear indication of the potential risks associated with this browser. It is concerning that a widely-used browser such as Internet Explorer has vulnerabilities that could potentially compromise the security of our personal information and sensitive data. Therefore, I would strongly urge individuals to heed the advice of the Department of Homeland Security and switch to a more secure browser like Mozilla. Our online safety should not be taken lightly, and it is our responsibility to take the necessary precautions to protect ourselves and our information. Let's not wait any longer and make the switch to a more secure browser today.

What is the US Department of Homeland Security?

The US Department of Homeland Security is a federal agency responsible for protecting the United States from threats and ensuring the safety and security of its citizens.

Why is the US Department of Homeland Security advising against using Internet Explorer?

The Department of Homeland Security has identified several security vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer that could potentially put users' personal information at risk. Therefore, they are advising against using this web browser to protect users from potential cyber attacks.

What are the potential risks of using Internet Explorer?

The potential risks of using Internet Explorer include the exposure of personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers, to hackers. It could also make users vulnerable to malware and phishing attacks.

What should I use instead of Internet Explorer?

The US Department of Homeland Security recommends using alternative web browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. These browsers have been found to have fewer security vulnerabilities and are regularly updated to address any new threats.

Is it safe to continue using Internet Explorer if I have antivirus software?

While having antivirus software can provide some level of protection, it is still not recommended to use Internet Explorer. Antivirus software can only detect known threats, but new vulnerabilities and attacks can still put your personal information at risk. It is best to use a more secure web browser to minimize the chances of a cyber attack.