Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US needs an official language?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
  2. No

15 vote(s)
  3. Indifferent

6 vote(s)
  4. Other (please explain)

1 vote(s)
  1. Aug 20, 2005 #1

Gold Member

There's a new bill in the House, H. R. 997; English Language Unity Act of 2005:
    Why does the US need an official language? And why have only one?

BTW, the bill is really short and easy (1-4 minutes).
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2005 #2
    This will harm the development of every language in the Country, including English.
  4. Aug 20, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Why does anything they mention require English to be made the official language? Just give some money to ESOL programs.
    My initial suspicion is that this will just be used to tell non-English-speakers that they're doing something wrong and aren't welcome here.
  5. Aug 20, 2005 #4
    I don't think a need to be able to read and understand the constitution in english should be required. As long as they can express the content to a interpreter.
  6. Aug 20, 2005 #5

Gold Member

Incorrect. Other nations have official national languages without any detrimental effects.

Im glad this is being put out there. I've lived in the United States my entire life and my city has been gradually turning into Mexico Part II. This move will only help Americans.
  7. Aug 20, 2005 #6
    But english has been dominant... why make official something that is clearly the choice? If spanish was declared the official language, I think english would still be dominant... also, although english is declared the official language, this will not stop other cultures from communicating in their own language. So to do this is really pointless IMO.
  8. Aug 20, 2005 #7
    This legislature won't stop spanish being integrated into your city. On top of that, why should they want to? I'm kind of offended that you think doing this will "help americans", there's nothing wrong with Spanish.
  9. Aug 20, 2005 #8
    Ask a Canadian what they think of TWO official languages!

Mind you most people think there is only one version of Chinese ... There are hundreds however Putonghua is the 'National Language' (Beijing Dialect or Mandarin)

The Philippines has one official language only spoken by the minority as a mother tongue... tagalog. Visayan or Bisaya is spoken by the majority 60% but missed out on the official status because the capital of Manila is Tagalog speaking. (There are hundreds more)

Often, the declaration of an 'official' language is detramental in internal politics.
  10. Aug 20, 2005 #9
    I think Spanish has a right to be an official US language just as much as French in Canada.

This bill strikes me as race baiting.
  11. Aug 20, 2005 #10

Gold Member

Its not that I care to know what people are telling eachother... im just rather sick of walking into a 7-11 or a supermarket and not knowing what hte hell half the products are because the packaging is written in spanish. Not english + spanish... just spanish. 100% spanish. And no, these are not mexican supermarkets or anything logical like that.

If I ever tried to kill myself with some McDonalds food more often, I could show you the cup written entirely in spanish.
  12. Aug 20, 2005 #11

Gold Member

Ha, your offended. Good one smurf *gives you a hug*.... i like your style.

It shouldn't matter what a minority wants, it should be what the majority wants and at the very least, the majority doesnt want to walk into a city thinking they accidently left the country. I at least want to know what the hell im buying at the store. I want McDonalds workers to know english. This is like going to France and asking "hey what gives, why isnt everyone speaking english and why isnt everything written in english".
  13. Aug 20, 2005 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In Norway, we have 4 official languages.
    If a citizen is over some matter in correspondence with some branch of the government, she has the right to get her answers back in the same official language as the one she wrote in.
    All official documents should in principle be available in all 4 languages, although this is rarely the case with respect to the two Sami official languages.

I don't really see what's the problem of calling some of the languages in a country for official, and I'm surprised that english isn't the official language in the US.
  14. Aug 20, 2005 #13
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I take it you've never spent much time in France?
  15. Aug 20, 2005 #14
    The problem with this is, if the majority truely cared about 7-11 products all being in spanish, they could easily get 7-11 to change their policy towards it, since 7-11 is trying to sell to the most people possible. So, is your example false, or is you're insistance that you are part of the majority false? Or are the basic laws of economics false? (i.e. something else is the problem?)
  16. Aug 20, 2005 #15
    In Canada you have the right to demand any government file/correspondant/anything be in French or English, anywhere, anytime, just by saying so. 22 minutes has made this a trademark joke of theirs.
  17. Aug 20, 2005 #16
    I didn't mean I was insulted, it just bothers me whenever someone implies that a language (or any cultural aspect) is inferior to theirs. It's so racist.
  18. Aug 20, 2005 #17

Gold Member

Well, I at least am glad that it does matter what the minority wants.

Pengwuino, are you sure you're in the majority where you live? Do you expect the government to tell McDonalds that they must use English in their packaging?

The problems with calling one language official:
    What's the point??
    A quick search: Arizona high court finds English-only law unconstitutional
    Oklahoma high court: English-only plan is unconstitutional
    There was a battle over the English-only law in Alaska, but I can't find it now.
    If you want to know what the potential pitfalls are, just look at this section:
    I'm not sure what saying this actually does, but it doesn't matter what they say if the law ends up having a discriminatory effect.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  19. Aug 20, 2005 #18

I'm not sure why they want to convert the population of America to a new language. Why not use one of the languages already in use? :biggrin: Like that funny one that has an affinity for 'z's and words like center, nite, color, favorite, honor etc. :rofl:

Apart from that seeing as how America is composed of immigrants from practically every nation of the world I do not see why there should be one official language unless the idea is to relegate others to some kind of second class, not really american, status.
  20. Aug 20, 2005 #19
    Why would its discriminatory status be relevant?
  21. Aug 20, 2005 #20

Gold Member

Oh, woops, I can't imagne how it would. I wasn't thinking of employment but that it would most likely impact protected groups (ethnicity, national origin).

Does it sound like voting counts as an official function?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?