• No

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
iansmith said:
Canada has only two official language but each province have their own status. What it means is that any the federal government has to communicate in english or french. Also, all labeling goods are bilingual. This also allow people speaking french or english as their first languague to have education in their first language.

Province have different statues, Quebec is french only province, New-brunswick is billingual and the rest is english only. Most official provincial will have bilingual service but it always depends on the person serving you.

You are allowed to have an english sign but it has to have french on it.
Yeah ... Sure you are ... Ask about if that business happens to be a flower shop that has been there for a hundred years.

That place had the wondows blown out with a shotgun.

You also get stupid things like the guy in Alberta who seemed to have absolutely NO problem surviving in a community there for most of his life in English. Then ... When he was done for tax evasion ... elected to have his trial for tax evasion in French only meaning they had to move a complete French courtroom to his town at a cost of $2 million so the government could recover $100,000.

Then there is the stated preference for government employees who are bilingual. Well it appears that all French is not the same because of two people who are bilingual going for the same job the French person who learned English will get the job and not the English who aquired French.

Why? --- The schools of Canada teach Parisian French and not Quebecoise.

Most of the people who were brought up in Canada don't speak Parisian French.

Therefore, the native Quebecoise speaker gets the job because they are more qualified.

iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Smoking Man said:
Yeah ... Sure you are ... Ask about if that business happens to be a flower shop that has been there for a hundred years.

That place had the wondows blown out with a shotgun.
That is the work of extremist and terrorrist. By law you are allows to have any languague on sign as long as french is dominant.

The Smoking Man said:
You also get stupid things like the guy in Alberta who seemed to have absolutely NO problem surviving in a community there for most of his life in English. Then ... When he was done for tax evasion ... elected to have his trial for tax evasion in French only meaning they had to move a complete French courtroom to his town at a cost of $2 million so the government could recover $100,000.
You do seem to understand that some people can function in a second language, yet they do not master this language. This put them at a disadvantage when sign contract or are in court because native speaker have a certain understanding of the fine details of the language

Also some people will leave in very closed communities where french is major languague but are surronded by english majority. Or vice-versa. I seen people from the west-island of montreal that lived there for more than 60 years but could not speak a word of french. Yet they are surrounded by french speaking people.

The Smoking Man said:
Then there is the stated preference for government employees who are bilingual. Well it appears that all French is not the same because of two people who are bilingual going for the same job the French person who learned English will get the job and not the English who aquired French.

Why? --- The schools of Canada teach Parisian French and not Quebecoise.

Most of the people who were brought up in Canada don't speak Parisian French.

Therefore, the native Quebecoise speaker gets the job because they are more qualified.
The problem here is that you should not rely on the school system to teach you another language. The english thaught in Quebec is as bad as the french taught in other province. The difference is that people in Quebec go outside the province to learn english. You also have to expose yourself to the language and pratice it to maintain a certain level of expertise. A language can be lost quite rapidly if you do not speak it on a regular basis.

iansmith said:
That is the work of extremist and terrorrist. By law you are allows to have any languague on sign as long as french is dominant.
The observation was that 'there was no trouble in Canada based on having two languages'.

I am glad to see that you have agreed with me and explained that having two 'official languages' has indeed given Canada terrorists.

iansmith said:
You do seem to understand that some people can function in a second language, yet they do not master this language. This put them at a disadvantage when sign contract or are in court because native speaker have a certain understanding of the fine details of the language
So you agree that the government was correct in spending $2 million to recover $100 thousand in back taxes?

This is not a problem to you? Again, you have just proved to our fiscally minded bretheren to the south that there are some really nasty problems but you are just too messed up to realize it.
iansmith said:
Also some people will leave in very closed communities where french is major languague but are surronded by english majority. Or vice-versa. I seen people from the west-island of montreal that lived there for more than 60 years but could not speak a word of french. Yet they are surrounded by french speaking people.
This man lived in a community that had 7 french speakers. He and his wife and 5 children who did not qualify as great enough of a population to create a French School. His children were educated in English, he signed contracts in English, he had an English lawyer, he purchased his land in English and he banks in English.
iansmith said:
The problem here is that you should not rely on the school system to teach you another language. The english thaught in Quebec is as bad as the french taught in other province. The difference is that people in Quebec go outside the province to learn english. You also have to expose yourself to the language and pratice it to maintain a certain level of expertise. A language can be lost quite rapidly if you do not speak it on a regular basis.
Well, thanks for that. Next time I consider employment with the Canadian government, I'll remember that I have to moved to Quebec for 10 years and aquire my language skills.

The only problem with that is the guy looking at my CV will not have the same opinion of my language skills because 'living in a province for 10 years' does not give me an academic credit and he will assume I only speak Parisian French and I won't even get called for an interview since I am not a NATIVE speaker of Quebecoise.

You'll also find that most Quebecoise speakers do NOT leave the province to learn English. They simply go to night school. Our language appears in text books. Quebecoise does not because it is a gutteral dialect of French that even the real French have no respect for since it is considered an abomination and affront to the national language of France.

US voting rights vs the US Constitution

loseyourname said:
the articles and amendments pertaining to who is allowed to vote, which at this point is any citizen above the age of 18 who is not a felon.
Nothing in the United States Constitution grants any citizen the right to vote.

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

"It may be surprising that in the US citizens technically lack a constitutional right to vote."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffrage#Suffrage_today

excuse me while I burst into hysterical laughter briefly

The Smoking Man said:
even the real French have no respect for since it is considered an abomination and affront to the national language of France.
In my experience it's viewed more with apathetic humour than any hostile feelings.

hehe, they'd still rather talk to a quebecy than a brit.

Smurf said:
excuse me while I burst into hysterical laughter briefly
Something funny here you ... you ..... ANGLOFONE!?

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!!!

(Monty Python French reference)

Are you suggesting coconuts MIGRATE?

Smurf said:
In my experience it's viewed more with apathetic humour than any hostile feelings.

hehe, they'd still rather talk to a quebecy than a brit.
Understandable ... the Brit would just as soon shoot at them.

The Quebecers are like the little yappy dog from those cartoons bouncing around at the heels of the big ferocious dog.

Must be the potine. :yuck:

Smurf said:
Are you suggesting coconuts MIGRATE?
Two African swallows and a bit of string.

I think poutine is spelled with a 'u'

The Smoking Man said:
We don't have a king. We're an autonomous collective as part of an anarcho-syndicalist commune. (my favorite part)

Smurf said:
I think poutine is spelled with a 'u'
You can spell in French!?:eek:

I have also heard two theories about this stuff ... The fries with cheese curds seems to be a recent development.

When I was a kid, poutine was French White Lightning ... squeeze ... Moonshine.
:rofl:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Curious6 said:
The reality is that the United States necessitates a law which proclaims English as its official language in order to preserve cultural unity and facilitate the assimilation of the substantial wave of Hispanic immigrants that have reached the country since the 1960's.
In addition to growing up with Mexicans, a Mexican girl and I dated and got quite serious for a time. Many Mexican immigrants resent those who refuse to assimilate into this culture. They see the need to assimilate and the problems caused when people don't learn the language.

The Smoking Man said:
You can spell in French!?
*holds up french citizenship card* You think they just give these out to anyone?

Ivan Seeking said:
In addition to growing up with Mexicans, a Mexican girl and I dated and got quite serious for a time. Many Mexican immigrants resent those who refuse to assimilate into this culture. They see the need to assimilate and the problems caused when people don't learn the language.
So what do you think they will do with Louisiana if they push this through?

I goronteeee, you will have der problems der eh.

The Amish may get a tad p!ssed too.

But then you could ask him if they can prove genetic dispositions ... can they speak Yiddish or Hebrew? :smug:

Last edited:
The Smoking Man said:
The Amish may get a tad p!ssed too.
.... :confused: ... SO? What are the amish gonna do?!

Smurf said:
.... :confused: ... SO? What are the amish gonna do?!
This is America ... what is ANYONE going to do? ... haul out a modified AK when staring down the barrel of a tank?

hmmm good point. I have no rebuke. You win.

Evo
Mentor
The Smoking Man said:
G1: So they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway.
G2: Wait a minute! Supposing *two* swallows carried it together!
G1: Nooo..... They'd have to have it on a line...
G2: Well, simple! They'd just use a strand of creeper!
G1: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?
G2: Well, why not?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think this becomes a matter of national security and survival. We must have a common language. We have all but lost control of the borders - the situation is barely short of a shifting US/Mexican border. A nation cannot survive under these circumstances.

Maybe we should all learn spanish. That would work as well.

Last edited:
Woah Woah WOOAH Ivan. Stop being so cheery, there's a downside too you know!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Smurf said:
Woah Woah WOOAH Ivan. Stop being so cheery, there's a downside too you know!
I watched my home turn into a ghetto. This gets a little personal.

iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Smoking Man said:
The observation was that 'there was no trouble in Canada based on having two languages'.

I am glad to see that you have agreed with me and explained that having two 'official languages' has indeed given Canada terrorists.
Terrorists and extremist activity is usually due the Quebec Sovereignty movement and the acts are usually done by the FLQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_independence_movement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_de_libération_du_Québec

The Smoking Man said:
So you agree that the government was correct in spending $2 million to recover $100 thousand in back taxes?

This is not a problem to you? Again, you have just proved to our fiscally minded bretheren to the south that there are some really nasty problems but you are just too messed up to realize it.
This man lived in a community that had 7 french speakers. He and his wife and 5 children who did not qualify as great enough of a population to create a French School. His children were educated in English, he signed contracts in English, he had an English lawyer, he purchased his land in English and he banks in English.
I was within his right to ask to be trialled in french. Maybe the man felt that he would not get fair trial in english.

The Smoking Man said:
Well, thanks for that. Next time I consider employment with the Canadian government, I'll remember that I have to moved to Quebec for 10 years and aquire my language skills.

The only problem with that is the guy looking at my CV will not have the same opinion of my language skills because 'living in a province for 10 years' does not give me an academic credit and he will assume I only speak Parisian French and I won't even get called for an interview since I am not a NATIVE speaker of Quebecoise.

You'll also find that most Quebecoise speakers do NOT leave the province to learn English. They simply go to night school. Our language appears in text books. Quebecoise does not because it is a gutteral dialect of French that even the real French have no respect for since it is considered an abomination and affront to the national language of France.
You do not need 10 years to learn another language. Somebody that is fully immersed will required 3 to 6 months to be able functional in that language.
Most Quebecois I know went to ontario for 1 or 2 summer to work and learn english. You might be right on one part, several other people go to english college or university to learn english rather than going out of province. I did both. I went to ontario for two years and went to CEGEP and university in english.

Night school does not help either. I have seen a fair share of people coming out had difficult carrying a conversation.

As far the French not respecting my language, I think you are wrong. they may make humour it at times but they are fully capable of understanding Quebec french. I have meet several french exchange student and they were fully capable of understanding us. However, they felt we had some unusual expressions but vice et versa.

iansmith said:
However, they felt we had some unusual expressions but vice et versa.
:rofl: Yeah, I bet.