What are the deadlines for US PhD admissions for Spring semester?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Andromeda9010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Spring
In summary, if you want to get admitted to a PhD program in the fall semester, you will have to wait at least two years.
Andromeda9010
I had a presumption that PhD admissions happen all year. Apparently I was wrong, and this could cost me.

I am going to take the physics GRE on march and the general GRE probably after that.

This means if I want to get admitted for a university on fall semester, I will have to wait about two years! From now (Jan 2019) to (~Sept 2020)... I was hoping to find universities that admit PhD students on spring, but they are few. Funny thing, most top universities (around 90%) admit students only on fall semester.

Should I sacrifice the possibility of going to a good university (relatively speaking) so that I can start earlier?

Any thoughts on what should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
Some universities in the US still have open deadlines for next fall. This list is maintained by the American Institute of Physics:

https://www.gradschoolshopper.com/gradschool/browseby.jsp?q=1&cid=3

Click on "Fall" under "Admission deadline (international)" to put the list in sequence. (I assume you're not in the US.)

Thanks for the link. Yes I am not.

I have been looking at universities individually. Visited more than a hundred US university website, most of the deadlines I saw where on Dec or early Jan, and barely no one was offering spring admission.

I was thinking of applying for Msc in Europe. But it is financially exhausting, even if I got admitted in a country like Germany where intuition is not an issue, I will still have to provide money for living if I couldn't get funding.

1. What is the deadline for applying to US PhD programs for the Spring semester?

The deadline for applying to US PhD programs for the Spring semester varies depending on the university and program. Generally, the deadline falls between October and December of the previous year. It is important to check the specific deadline for each program you are interested in.

2. Can I still apply to US PhD programs after the deadline?

In most cases, US PhD programs do not accept applications after the deadline for the Spring semester. However, some programs may have a rolling admissions process and may consider late applications on a case-by-case basis. It is best to contact the program directly to inquire about their policies.

3. Are there any differences in deadlines for domestic and international applicants?

Yes, there may be differences in deadlines for domestic and international applicants. International applicants may have earlier deadlines in order to allow for additional time for visa processing and other necessary arrangements. It is important to check with each program for their specific deadlines for international applicants.

4. What materials are required for the application by the deadline?

The materials required for the application may vary depending on the program, but typically include transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). It is important to carefully review the application requirements for each program to ensure all materials are submitted by the deadline.

5. Can I still submit my application if my standardized test scores will not be available by the deadline?

In most cases, US PhD programs will allow applicants to submit their application without their standardized test scores if they will not be available by the deadline. However, the scores must be received before the admissions decision is made. It is important to check with each program for their specific policies regarding test scores and deadlines.