Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US Presidential election

1. Bush

7 vote(s)
  2. Kerry

20 vote(s)
  3. Nader

1 vote(s)
  4. megashawn

6 vote(s)
  1. Mar 10, 2004 #1

Science Advisor

As it stands, who are you voting for?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

I will vote for Mr.Bush, my 4th such vote!

Er- Only once time in the forum.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  4. Mar 11, 2004 #3
    If I can vote, I'd go for Kerry. He needs a new haircut though. I mean, seriously.
  5. Mar 11, 2004 #4

Too bad I can't vote.
  6. Mar 11, 2004 #5
    Do we really need this poll to prove that this foruum is left leaning? Kerry will win on this poll.
  7. Mar 11, 2004 #6
    Do we really need a poll to know that PF members are pretty well-informed, and therefore will generally be voting against Bush?

(note that I said "against Bush", and not "for Kerry")
  8. Mar 11, 2004 #7
    You know, I think it was you that argued against me one time that it is better to not vote, than to vote for "the lesser of two evils" - has the mindset changed now with that statement?
  9. Mar 11, 2004 #8
    I doubt it...unless you knew me back in the late 1990s? I may have mentioned that I previously felt that way, but certainly not in the last few years. For instance, while I don't think that electing Kerry is somehow going to create a utopia in America, I do think that electing Bush would be a disaster. Actually, so do an increasing number of Republicans, according to some polls and reading online that I have done. Bush has, for instance, gone against the whole "fiscal responsibility" and "small government" ideals of traditional conservatism.
  10. Mar 12, 2004 #9

Staff: Mentor

Megashawn, you get my vote.
  11. Mar 12, 2004 #10

Science Advisor

Because I am relatively well-informed, I'll be voting for Bush.
  12. Mar 15, 2004 #11
    Anybody but Bush.
  13. Mar 15, 2004 #12

Science Advisor

I'm sure many well-informed people will vote for Bush. The wealthiest 5% of the population are well-informed. Why anyone else would vote for him is a mystery.

14. Mar 15, 2004 #13
    Mystery solved...every thinks they are going to win the lottery. On the off chance that they win on American Idol, strike oil while shooting at some food, or learn to make $10,000 a month from real estate, without ever leaving your house or putting down a down-payment!!!!!!!!, they want to make sure there's a Republican in office.

That, or they hate minoriities and homosexuals?
  15. Mar 15, 2004 #14
    I am not a US citizen and I don't live in the country either. But when I look at websites listing Bush' accomplishments, I just cannot understand why so many people are such big fans of him. Do you understand why that is?
  16. Mar 15, 2004 #15
    George Soros is voting for tax increases for himself. How does that make sense? Well, simple (hint, it's not your mind numbing rhetoric). It's a difference of ideaologies. Just as Mr. Soros, a man who would do even better with keeping a Republican in office, is voting contrary to what is presently fiscally the best route for him, I am going to be voting for Bush. I am not in the top 5% of the nation's income makers. I can't stand most of the idealogies that come hand and hand with the democrats. Sure, I can go vote myself the nation's wealth, but why? I liken this to being part of a club. Sure, maybe joining a particular club would be better for me, but if I am disgusted by the ideas that club holds dear, do I really want to support it? Absolutely not.
  17. Mar 15, 2004 #16
    Quite the skewed site and much taken out of context.
    As for being a big fan? I'm hardly that. I'd vote Mccain or Powell before I'd vote for Bush. Unfortunately they are not options this time around. I'm voting for the closest to what I want, but that doesn't mean I would prefer him over other non-participants.
  18. Mar 15, 2004 #17
    Which American ideals do you find so repugnant? Not strawman arguments based on the last time you listend to Faux News or right-wing AM radio, but which views ACTUALLY HELD BY DEMOCRATS, do you dislike? Equal rights? Medicine for children? Education?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  19. Mar 15, 2004 #18
    I am
    against Affirmative Action based on Race
    pro-life (not anti abortion because of reality, but I am fully against late term abortion)
    against gay marriage
    against free college for all and/or college payback systems (debt forgiven after X years)
    Against an overly skewed tax plan against the rich
    for a revamp of social security(with a focus on bringing privatization into the mix)
    against socializing healthcare

That's the tip of the iceberg, and should give you a fairly clear stance that I have on the issues. You can spout off to me the DNC's platform, but in reality, things are a lot more to the left than the centralist attitude portrayed by the few and far between dems (hey, I like some of them :p ).
    I can't say I'm happy with Bush's spending. The medicare bill was a gross spending, but atleast my complaints aren't what the democrats were (that it wasn't enough!! I mean, it's almost 400BILLION!)
  20. Mar 15, 2004 #19
    So, you don't mind that Bush lied about the cost of the Medicare plan?
  21. Mar 15, 2004 #20
    Sure I do. I mind that the 400 billion was ever on the table, and I mind even more that it's 540 billion.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?