Votes: 1 2.9%
  • megashawn

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
Robert Zaleski
suyver said:
Kerry.

Too bad I can't vote.
I'm glad you can't vote. The last time the Swiss took a vote, it was to stay out of World War II and profit from the misery of their neighbors.

Robert Zaleski said:
I'm glad you can't vote. The last time the Swiss took a vote, it was to stay out of World War II and profit from the misery of their neighbors.

Even though I am born and raised Dutch, I find this insulting.
Shame on you.

russ_watters
Mentor
Sicne this thread is back from the dead:
schwarzchildradius said:
And shame on you for bashing social security, some of our grandmothers need that to live.
Shame on your grandmothers for not saving for their retirement (mine did) and shame on you for forcing others to pay for their mistakes.

Tsu
Gold Member
What the hell's the matter with you russ? Who are you to shame a woman (one you know absolutely NOTHING about) who probably spent a lifetime paying into a government system that guaranteed participating citizens (where participation was forced. non-participation was generally not an option - if you worked, you paid into the fund) an income in their retirement years? Sure sounds like saving for retirement to me.

FYI, when SS was created, people did not typically LIVE past age 65. Is is her fault that technology has made it possible for people to live well into their 80's? Or that the government that promised her an income in her retirement years if she paid into it through payroll deductions (allowing the gov't to use HER money all these years), mismanaged these funds and now cannot pay these people back? I'm glad your grandmother was able to save for her retirement. Many are not fortunate enough to be in this situation.

Sometimes you can sound like one of those cold, heartless bast*ards, ya know that? 'Course you're not the only one like that here. I'M ashamed of ALL of you when you come off sounding like that! And Robert Zaleski - that was a RUDE comment. You should apologize.

russ_watters
Mentor
Tsunami said:
What the hell's the matter with you russ? Who are you to shame a woman (one you know absolutely NOTHING about) who probably spent a lifetime paying into a government system...
So you assume your assumptions are better than my assumptions? :rolleyes:

I have said it many times: SS needs to go. It is a terrible punishment for those of us responsible enough to save for retirement. Imagine that: I'm being punished and chastized for being responsible! What a country!

schwarzchildradius
russ_watters said:
Sicne this thread is back from the dead: Shame on your grandmothers for not saving for their retirement (mine did) and shame on you for forcing others to pay for their mistakes.
What kind of logic is that? grandmothers pay into social security, and then they reap the rewards so long as neo-con-men havent looted the savings for profit. No others pay for their mistakes, that's simply wrong.

russ_watters
Mentor
schwarzchildradius said:
What kind of logic is that? grandmothers pay into social security, and then they reap the rewards so long as neo-con-men havent looted the savings for profit. No others pay for their mistakes, that's simply wrong.
Great - we pay them back what they put in then: and not a penny more. Better? That way, I get to use the rest of my money to invest for my future. I realize its unreasonable to expect people stop stealing all of my money that they are stealing - how about just reduce how much they are taking?

I pay more than 15% of my income into a system that will return me a tiny fraction of what I could have gotten from that 15% on my own. Who is responsible for that discrepancy?

Or how about this: do you agree that its a good idea to save for retirement? Do you agree that its a mistake not to? Do you agree that SS exists to pay for the retirement of people who wouldn't otherwise save for themselves? Do you see the direct linear line of logic there?

Maybe this weekend I'll do a little math for you guys. It appears that you just plain don't see that the amount of money you are losing on this deal is enormous.

Last edited: