Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US Senate and the moonies

1. Jun 14, 2004 #1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

We Shall Overcome.

This world of ours is vile. I am a man with a plan. All who wish to be saved, join with me in a compound in rural Iowa. The End is coming soon! There are just a few simple, absolute rules for you to adhere to.

(1) Materialism is the source of evil. You must strip yourself of all wealth. I am prepared to take on the great burden of wealth, so I shall humbly receive your possessions as you lay them at my feet.

(2) Links to the outside world are forbidden. No televisions, radios, or Internet connections are allowed within the compound. A public address system will provide all the news that you will need to hear.

(3) Once you enter the compound, you shut yourself off from the wickedness outside. You must remain inside the barbed wire fencing at all times.

(4) There will be three-a-day services at which attendance is mandatory. We shall read from the Holy Book.

(5a) Sex is the other root of all evil. Under no circumstances shall sexual relations occur in the compound.

(5b) The only exception to rule (5a) is that females of childbearing age must keep a pager with themselves at all times, to make themselves available to His Most Holy Potentate of the Royal Order of the Godhead (that's me) at all times.

4. Jun 14, 2004 #3
    Was that big golden crown paid for with tax payers money?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  5. Jun 15, 2004 #4
    WTF? Is this for real?

6. Jun 15, 2004 #5

kat

Lol, too funny.

7. Jun 15, 2004 #6

amp

Are those movies for real !??!

8. Jun 15, 2004 #7
    Enjoy the truth while it lasts

9. Jun 15, 2004 #8
    Remember this, people, next time you see a "quote" from the Moonie Times.

10. Jun 15, 2004 #9

Njorl

Science Advisor

Sadly, yes.

Njorl

11. Jun 15, 2004 #10

Njorl

Science Advisor

Here is a site relating a discussion with representitive Davis. He has admitted to taking part. He is downplaying his involvement in a rather pointless manner. It doesn't matter though. As far as the mainstream media is concerned, Moon is just fine. I just don't understand how this guy can pour money into so many poitical campaigns and it never bites anybody in the ass.

http://www.capitolfax.com/

12. Jun 15, 2004 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hard to evaluate the Davis thing. Hard to find any reliable sources of info on these guys, since, as Njorl noted, the mainstream media has pretty much ignored them for awhile. If true, is he on drugs or just dumb? Obviously hasn't considered the past history of Moon.

I think the media's grown kind of bored with Moon. 20, 30 years ago, he had a pretty close relationship with the president of S. Korea and a South Korean lobbyist. The church's foundation went beyond just Moon as the second coming. It also spelled out the role of NKorea (and its evil parents, China and the Soviet Union) and SKorea (and its good parents, Japan and the US) in the battle over whether good or evil would triumph in the world. The Moonies have always supported very conservative, anti-communist politicians and seemed to almost be an offshoot of a plan to ensure a large amount of foreign aid to protect SKorea from NKorea. It got a little bit of media coverage, since its membership practices were definitely cultish - give up all your money to the church and help them raise more money; convince your parents to send you more money that you can give to the church; etc.

The president got assassinated and there was a big congressional scandal over the money the lobbyist was distributing. Moon kept his church going and used church members as cheap labor for building up a small financial empire, which seems to have grown over the years. I think the issue of using the church members as cheap labor got them a little bit of media coverage, as well.

After the end of the cold war, I would have figured Moon would just be happy to rake in the profits from his companies and his cheap labor. I guess you still have China and NKorea to worry about, though.

I would think any serious politician, right or left wing, would keep as far away as possible from someone so out there on the fringe .

13. Jun 16, 2004 #12
    This reminds of the website that has the oddest combination of being both one of the scariest and one of the funniest websites I've seen (thanks, somethingawful.com): http://www.dougmoon.com/

14. Jun 16, 2004 #13
    My conclusion is, that yes America has gone bonkers. Nobody seems to care?

When they came for me there was nobody left ....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  15. Jun 16, 2004 #14

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Pearlescence. Signifies phase change.

16. Jun 16, 2004 #15
    did you mean "pestilence"?

:tongue2:

17. Jun 16, 2004 #16

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Nope, pearlescence. A pearly look that substances get just before they go through a critical point, caused by self-similar activity at all scales. Thus the Abu Ghreib corruption is the same for the grunt and the general and the Secretary of Defense and the President, and if we believe Hitchens, for the American people.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?