US states using the concept of IDR?

In summary: I think it has to do with the fact that medical radiation is more variable and less predictable. Radiation levels in nuclear facilities are tightly regulated because it is so dangerous. I don't think we would be okay with people stepping on a C-arm and not being able to stop the radiation.
sky8710
US states using the concept of IDR??

While I'm reading IAEA safety report 47, I've learned the concept of IDR, instantneous dose rate, which is commonly used in UK. IDR is the tool for recommendation of the limit of high dose rate in a short time, e.g., an hour.

Generally, in US, NCRP is the common recommendation as I know, there is not recommendation for the limit of high dose rate in any hour but just averaged over a week or a year.

However my prof. said that there are some states in US using the concept of IDR and asked me to find that states.

Do you guys know anything about my question? I'm waiting.

Engineering news on Phys.org

All regulatory authorities in the US have a limit for dose rate for unrestricted areas. For some, such as the NRC, it is a dose rate such that a member of the public would not receive a dose in excess of 2mrem in 1 hour (meaning it could for a short time exceed 2mR/hr). Some states restrict that further to an exposure rate of less than 2mR/hr, so you couldn't even exceed that for very short periods. I'm not aware of any dose rate restrictions for occupational workers (some states may have it), other than ensuring that Radiation, High Radiation, and Very High Radiation Areas are properly posted, and that doses remain ALARA.

As you said, I've found the design limit for public area(unrestricted area) in 10CFR20 and still looking for the IDR limit for occupational exposure(controlled, restricted area). Anyway, thanks for your kind comment!

I've never worked anywhere that used an IDR (nuc plants, med centers, cancer centers, research labs) for “unrestricted areas”. It's always been dose in anyone hour, week, etc. for "unrestricted areas". To do otherwise would make some shielding situations impractical. For example, I can go in a public area around any cancer center exterior primary barrier wall (~7-8’ concrete) and measure exposure rates far in excess of 2mR/hr. However, when occupancy, utilization, beam energy, etc. are factored in, the “exposure in an hour" is well below 2. Same can be said for diagnostic x-ray rooms.

Now Occupational Exposure is a different thing. Most nuc sites I've worked require an RWP (radiation work permit) for any work within a "controlled area". Additionally, any are =>100 mR/hr is generally access limited (locked), and requires an RWP and someone from HP to open the door and monitor your activities. Also, if the man-hours exceed a threshold (established by the site ALARA program), shielding my need to be engineered and placed prior to work onset, even for lower exposure rate areas.

FWIW, contrary to what some might think, radiation is much more carefully controlled in a nuclear facility than a medical setting. I couldn’t tell you the number of times I’ve seen a doctor step on a C-arm peddle, un-pulsed, and press the peddle far enough to engage boost flouro (~40 R/min on some units).

The 2 mrem in 1 hour is true for the NRC and most Agreement States. Back when I was in charge of licensing for nuclear pharmacies in just about every state, I recall some states (don't remember which ones) that limited the dose rate rather than the dose in 1 hour. Yes, it sucked for shielding applications. But those were the regs and we had to abide by them.

Yeah, it is weird that nuclear facilities areheld to a higher standard than medical faciltiies when it comes to doses.

1. What is IDR and how is it used by US states?

IDR stands for Income-Driven Repayment and it is a concept used by US states to help students repay their student loans based on their income. This means that the monthly loan payments are adjusted according to the borrower's income, making it more manageable for them to pay off their loans.

2. How does IDR differ from traditional student loan repayment plans?

Traditional student loan repayment plans typically have fixed monthly payments that are based on the total amount of the loan. IDR plans, on the other hand, take into consideration the borrower's income and adjust the monthly payments accordingly. This can make the payments more affordable for borrowers who have lower incomes.

3. Are all US states using IDR for student loan repayment?

No, not all US states are using IDR for student loan repayment. However, many states have implemented IDR programs or are in the process of doing so. It is important to check with your state's student loan program to see if IDR is an option for you.

4. What are the benefits of using IDR for student loan repayment?

The main benefit of using IDR for student loan repayment is that it can make the monthly payments more manageable for borrowers, especially those with lower incomes. It also allows for loan forgiveness after a certain period of time, typically 20-25 years, which can be helpful for borrowers who are struggling to pay off their loans.

5. Can I switch to an IDR plan if I am currently on a traditional repayment plan?

Yes, in most cases, you can switch to an IDR plan if you are currently on a traditional repayment plan. However, it is important to check with your state's student loan program to see if you are eligible and what steps you need to take to switch to an IDR plan.