US Supreme Court rules on violent video games

• News
  • Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
The MPAA rating system is entirely voluntary (well, not entirely since it may be difficult to get distribution if you aren't rated).

I listened to the oral arguments for the case a few months ago. It was actually entertaining. And the state's defense was rather poor. An issue brought up quite a bit was the vagueness in the definition of "deviant violence" as they termed it in proceedings. Alito's concurrence goes into this and he uses it as his primary basis for concurring with the majority opinion.

I also agree with Scalia's reasoning. It seems fairly sound to me. Considering his comments during the oral arguments, and what I have read and heard from him before, I was fairly certain he would come down on the side he did.

talk2glenn
(well, not entirely since it may be difficult to get distribution if you aren't rated).
Nothing is mandated by the state, however; theatres are free to carry or not carry unrated films, at their discretion. The United States is the only country in the world, to my knowledge, that does not have a government mandated media ratings system. And this is something to be proud of.

It is a tragedy of civics education that people don't understand this important fact.

Does this apply only to video games, or does it also apply to cigarettes, alcohol, and adult videos - commodities legal for adults, but illegal for children?
I don't know how it is in your town, but in mine minors have no difficulty in obtaining cigarettes, alcohol, and adult videos--not to mention marijuana, crack, heroin and the services of prostitutes. If your town is different, I envy you.

Legal prohibition on the sale of things for which a ready market exists has never worked in U. S. history. I doubt if it ever will. Most well-brought-up children will shun these temptations--although they may give them a brief try. Mavericks from this group and those not well-brought-up will succumb. It is a harsh view, but I think of it as natural selection at work.