Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US troops destroy Iraq's ancient past

1. Aug 3, 2004 #1
    Yay for Operation Iraqi Freedom!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Curious. Were you drawn to the obvious flaws in that article as well?

4. Aug 3, 2004 #3
    "We don't know how much damage the military presence has caused because our experts are not permitted to enter the site."

It appears minister Al-Jazairi and his experts don't know sh_t from Shinola.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  5. Aug 3, 2004 #4

Janitor

Science Advisor

6. Aug 3, 2004 #5
    What might you mean by righteousness?

7. Aug 3, 2004 #6

Janitor

Science Advisor

I am willing to go with the Webster's definition:

Right´eous`ness
    n. 1. The quality or state of being righteous; holiness; purity; uprightness; rectitude.

8. Aug 3, 2004 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're really reaching on this one. You probably should have been satisfied to get in two anti-American posts in one day.

9. Aug 3, 2004 #8
    When resistance forces hide in mosques and shrines then Americans tear them down. Im not saying Iraqis should fight fair, im just saying that if they choose to hide in the holy places of their country, then we should choose to tear them down.

10. Aug 4, 2004 #9
    War is Hell.

11. Aug 5, 2004 #10
    "War is hell, and some other pathetic platitudes. That excuses everything I do, right? Doesn't it? Please?"

I don't think it would stand up too well in ANY court.

12. Aug 5, 2004 #11

kat

Lol, it will stand up just fine in court.

13. Aug 5, 2004 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

As a matter of fact, you're backing the wrong horse: if this were to go to court, the defendants would be Iraqi, not American. I'm not sure anyone will be prosecuted for the destruction of an old building, but if civilians die in an apartment building (for example) because terrorists were using it as a fortress, the terrorists are criminally responsible for their deaths.

14. Aug 6, 2004 #13
    Like in Nuremberg?

15. Aug 6, 2004 #14
    So every instance of the USA military killing civilians is easily swept under the rug by you because, in every single case, it was "terrorists using human shields"? And no USA person is ever guilty of war crimes, because... they're nicer, or something?

The victors do not face prosecution. A few individuals of no consequence may be hung out to dry as scapegoats, but that's about all.

16. Aug 6, 2004 #15
    Strawman Adam, tsk tsk :smile:
    Dont you have to say something about Hitler and the nazis now?

17. Aug 6, 2004 #16
    Do you have anything relevent and rational to say? Ever?

18. Aug 6, 2004 #17
    And no, it's not a straw man.

19. Aug 6, 2004 #18

jimmy p

Gold Member

Is it just me or does

NOT sound very US to me. In fact the only time they mention US personnel is when they say that US contractors are also causing damage. Contractors that arent military.

It just a bit of hatebreeding and warmongering. Pointless.

20. Aug 6, 2004 #19
    Iraq's ancient past is the world's ancient past.

21. Aug 6, 2004 #20
    This article is amazing in its complete disregard for objectivity. Look at the title: US troops destroy Iraq's ancient past. But if you read the article, you find that it was POLISH troops that are the accused.

Al Jazeera is clearly taking sides in this war and has no problem skewing the news to further its pro-Arab cause. Naturally Adam buys into it. He would buy a wheelbarrow if it had an anti-US bumper sticker on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?