Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US Universities with excellent Biology programs?

1. Jan 30, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm crazy. I moved from the US back to the Netherlands to start a research career here, but I am not satisfied and want to move back to the US..

I want to know which Universities are known for their Biology programs and if those are nice cities to live in. I could just stop working on whatever I am working on right now and study hard to enter a PhD program. When are the usual application deadlines anyway? Lol, this is really inpulsive thinking..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about princeton.. I've been told they are good :)

4. Jan 30, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've made up my mind, I'm going to Princeton.. who cares that only 1 in 7 get admission, my background is strong enough that they can't refuse me :) Greg, you'll write me a recommendation letter right? :wink:

I'll regret this though when homesickness starts to kick in again.. I'll just convince my parents to emmigrate or something :)

5. Jan 30, 2004 #4

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might also want to check out UCSF, Monique. They have an extremely highly regarded grad program that focuses entirely on biology and the like. Anything biology field you're interested in, you could probably study there, along with lots of opportunities (I imagine) for lots of interdisciplinary biology studies.

http://www.ucsf.edu/academics/schools.html

Princeton is a good school, but you mentioned a nice place to live too. Which would you pick, San Francisco or JERSEY?

6. Jan 30, 2004 #5
    so you want somewhere relatively warm?

in other words, how far north would you be willing to go?

7. Jan 30, 2004 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

YES! MONIQUE!! SAN FRANCISCO!! If you love Amsterdam, you'll LOVE San Francisco. I lived there for several years and just LOVED it! It is a wonderful city with excellent restaurants and SO many things to do. I learned to fly stunt-kites while living there - one of the more really FUN things I like to do. I actually flew a chain of 25 kites at the SF Marina Green - dang near got lifed off my feet and dumped into the bay by those kites!! Good thing my kite buddies had a hold of the belt-loops on my jeans or I'd have been a floater!!
    YEAH!! SF!! Ivan and I will come visit!! (But don't let THAT scare you off :wink:)
    If you like to camp, one of the most beautiful campgrounds I've ever seen in my life is a few hours north of SF (just south of Eureka). Yeah! Let's go camping! EVO! Wanna go camping with us?

8. Jan 30, 2004 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I LOVE CAMPING!!!! Just tell me when and where!!!

9. Jan 30, 2004 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

What about coming to Miami. You get nice weather, beaches, and lots of parties.

Here are some links about south florida:

Key Biscayne:
    http://www.key-biscayne.com/

South Beach:
    http://www.sobenightsonline.com/

Everglades National Park:
    http://www.florida-everglades.com/

And if you interested in actually studying, here are some peoples' webpages you can look through. Most of the biological research done at the University of Miami is focused on animal and plant ecology, mostly because of the everglades, but they also do some cellular and DNA stuff.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/people.html

10. Jan 30, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

May I put in my $0.02? Not only is SF one of the best cities in the world, we have a number of world-class universities within a short drive here: UCSF, UC Berkeley (also known as simply "Cal") and Stanford.

I live about a mile from Stanford, or about 15 minutes south of SF, and I can attest to the academic prowess AND the great quality of life here. :smile:

- Warren

11. Jan 30, 2004 #10

Evo

12. Jan 30, 2004 #11

Evo

heheh, I just saw chroot's post. You can move in with him!

13. Jan 30, 2004 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, there's no doubt Stanford is an incredible school. I know a lot of graduate students there, as you can imagine. I live with a chemistry postdoc and a guy who got his MD there.

- Warren

14. Jan 30, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

now Chroot has talked me into staying in Europe Germany germany.. hm, now I really don't know it anymore :(

15. Jan 30, 2004 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey I thought I was trying to get you to come pick lychees with me on the central California coast!

- Warren

16. Jan 30, 2004 #15

Tsu

Gold Member

Well, WAY TO GO, chroot!! Ya dumb f***! (JUS' KIDDING! Actually, I take it back. Unless you've been PMing, I don't see where you talked her into staying...)

*lightbult goes on over head*

Come ON, Monique!! I've got a plan! Since cost of living IS a bit high in the Bay Area - we'll ALL move in with chroot and his buddies! We'll be 'house mice'!! You can do the cooking (you sound like a GOOD one in other threads, but no weird or gross stuff like chicken feet, OK?). Evo can bring her French Maid outfit and do what SHE does, and I'll...uh...waterski the bay? NO! I'll be the gardener and I'll keep Evo's dog from eating the house! YEAH! That'll be my job!!

What do you think?

17. Jan 30, 2004 #16

Tsu

Gold Member

And ARTICHOKES!!! YUM!!! The grow like weeds there! And then there's that GIANT one in...is it Castroville?

18. Jan 30, 2004 #17

Evo

Wait, "I" garden!!! It's one of the loves of my life. Ok, Tsunami, we can co-garden and you can try to prevent the DOG OF EVIL from destroying everything!

19. Jan 30, 2004 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll have to buy a few extra pillows!

But seriously, it really would be so much fun to have all you awesome people over. :smile:

- Warren

20. Jan 30, 2004 #19

Evo

Hey, a sleepover would be fun! But seriously, Tsunami and I together might tear a hole in the fabric of the universe.

21. Jan 30, 2004 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think we might be hijacking Monique's thread a little bit!

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?