US vs Google and Search Engines

In summary, the US government has determined that Google may be abusing it's power and influence and has hired a noted outside lawyer to help with the investigation. Alternatives to Google are available.
I far prefer Bing. The engine always returns topics more relevant to my search criteria and their maps with aerial view is far superior to satellite. I like the new cool picture thing every day too. Plus they don't sell your information (not profiles anyway) which is nice too.

Fellow computer nerds highly recommend duckduckgo.com over all other search engines due to privacy and security. I've started using it and I like it. Except like bing it won't convert between hex, binary, and decimal.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Max™ said:
like the ™ insert gadget!
Ah, I wondered what those were for. Haven't you considered binding it to a keyboard shortcut?

Yeah, but the little down arrow has several more rows of templates which is super handy when I remember them.

I was fiddling around with getting my weather set up so I could train myself to convert to Kelvin (hence the two weathers) and noticed some of the options looked handy. Got the cpu/network monitor, synaptic package manager, kill program, calculator, show desktop, a direct link to preferences/accessories, and my notification area.

Topher925 said:
I far prefer Bing. The engine always returns topics more relevant to my search criteria and their maps with aerial view is far superior to satellite. I like the new cool picture thing every day too. Plus they don't sell your information (not profiles anyway) which is nice too.

Fellow computer nerds highly recommend duckduckgo.com over all other search engines due to privacy and security. I've started using it and I like it. Except like bing it won't convert between hex, binary, and decimal.

Selection_012.png

Aerial view is a big deal? :P

I hate bing and block it from my computer because of their insulting commercials which basically amount to "Hey, are you a moron? Let us tell you how to think!", plus, y'know, microsoft is bleh for those of us who purged the infection from their systems to relish in the glories of linux-ness.I agree about duckduckgo being nice though, but eh, I've got my privacy taken care of with google already.

Last edited:
Google's site-specific search is pretty powerful. Since I've always found what I've needed using Google, I haven't used anything else. A long time ago, when I was probably around 7 or eight years old, I'd use my grandparents' computer (486 DX2) when I was at their house. They had Juno, a free internet and mail service. I remember using netscape and having excite as the main search engine. It was very slow, I think they had a 14.4 modem, but it shows just how far the internet and seach engines have come.

Pengwuino said:
They never existed. And even if they did, it's not googles fault that people suck at using their products.

HAIL GOOGLE
HAIL GOOGLE
HAIL GOOGLE
Nope, Google got it wrong,

HAIL PENG
HAIL PENG
HAIL PENG

There, I set things right...

Rhody...

Not to mention Google funds GSoC which has many a time been of great help for the open source community.

google+, gmail, google docs, google calendar, google scholar, google search (web/images/video), google insights, google finance.

Think that about covers it.

mishrashubham said:
Not to mention Google funds GSoC which has many a time been of great help for the open source community.

I was about to bring this up.

I love what google does. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do not get the "money hungry" vibe from google even one tiny bit.
Everything google is involved in is either fully supported by me or something that I just don't care for.
They don't have anything that I am against or dislike, which is exceedingly rare for companies that get that large.
Google is aces in my book.