Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US wants to pump Iraqi oil to Haifa

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    U.S. checking possibility of pumping oil from northern Iraq to Haifa, via Jordan

By Amiram Cohen

The United States has asked Israel to check the possibility of pumping oil from Iraq to the oil refineries in Haifa. The request came in a telegram last week from a senior Pentagon official to a top Foreign Ministry official in Jerusalem.

The new pipeline would take oil from the Kirkuk area, where some 40 percent of Iraqi oil is produced, and transport it via Mosul, and then across Jordan to Israel. The U.S. telegram included a request for a cost estimate for repairing the Mosul-Haifa pipeline that was in use prior to 1948. During the War of Independence, the Iraqis stopped the flow of oil to Haifa and the pipeline fell into disrepair over the years.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/...2&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

& check this out. Even before the "war", Bill Blum wrote that this would happen!
    http://members.aol.com/bblum6/mafia.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I wonder how many days per year that pipeline will be operational...

What's it made of ? 2m thick armored plate in 20 m thick concrete ?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  4. Jun 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the interesting links, fourier jr. Israel's role in the current middle eastern conflicts has not been explored as much as it needs to be.

5. Jun 16, 2005 #4
    does bill blum know his stuff or what?! :bugeye:

6. Jun 17, 2005 #5
    There's a very slim chance that pipeline will become a reality any time soon.
    Still, that doesn't stop all of you from waving this like it proves Israel has an interest in the war in Iraq and is the cause of it. Had you any insight into the matter you would see not only Israel has gained very little from it, it has also lost much.
    Had it been a port in an Arab country assisting the US in the war in Iraq, none of you would have given this matter a thought. However, since this is Israel, I guess it deserves tough scrutiny and criticism. I would just like to remind you Israel gave up its only oil sources in exchange for nothing but peaceful relations with Egypt. That peace is today a very cold one, with the Egyptian authorities doing all they can to prevent any normalisation of civilian and economic contacts with Israel. Also, the treaty was devised and signed by a Likkud (right winged party, currently in power) government, headed by Menahem Begin (called a "big terrorist" in the Rachel Corrie thread).
    Anyone who thinks pumping water from Iraq to Israel is a viable concept is a delusional hysteric. You revere this guy like he's an authority, yet if I were to refer you to a symmetrically opposing site you would discard it as "biased".

7. Jun 17, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Telegram??? Guess we better get out our muskets in preperation for war with iran!

8. Jun 18, 2005 #7
    all good points, its like the world is out to get israel. israel is one of the most self reliant nations for its size, due mainly to its millitary and special operations. also, where would gangsters of the world be without the uzi? :tongue2:

9. Jun 18, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They'd still be using tommyguns WHICH ARE COOL!!!!

DOWN WITH ISRAEL!!!!

10. Jun 18, 2005 #9

SOS2008

Gold Member

Israel is still very reliant on the U.S. for financial aid and military protection, and the U.S. BTW is the gangster that owns (and sells) the uzi.

11. Jun 18, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What do you mean owns and sells it? Arent there dozens of varieties?

Or is it like that type of wine where you can only use the name if its created at a certain winery....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  12. Jun 18, 2005 #11
    israel has a pretty bad record when it comes to humna rights. hasn't anyone heard of palestinian houses getting bulldozed? some jewish person referred to palestinians as "filthy animals" on msnbc also.
    http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=8439
    some irony there...

13. Jun 18, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Who cares what some random guy says. Whats bulldozing a few houses compared to carbombs and pipebombs and suicide bombers? That whole conflict is pretty "N/A" when it comes to human rights because its just insanity going on on both sides with 1 side pretty much fighting for their existance (no, Palestinians can move into one of their loving neighbors territory if worse comes to worse...)

14. Jun 18, 2005 #13
    What if majority of Iraqi people do not agree to send their oil to Israel or to recognize this ‘’State’’ which established by destruction of Palestine?

For those American who support the Zionists, why they do not establish Jews State in California or Texas , then they can give them money, oil and ******* to enjoy them?

No for religious Ghettos or ethic cleansing in ME based on biblical myth:
    Whether the ‘’Kingdom of Jerusalem’’ 12th century or “Artz Israel” in 20th century. This land belongs to its native people not for selective immigration based on religion.

Peaceful Jews are welcomed in ME, but those Zionists invaders will be defeated as what happen to crusaders in 12the century.

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Middle_East/Palestine/photo59605.htm

This ancient land
    is saturated with sorrow.
    Every day adds a brook
    to the sea of tears.
    Sorrow is like a rain,
    it respects no boundaries,
    it doesn't ask you
    how do you name your God.

(Vera Roeder
    Israeli human right activist)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  15. Jun 19, 2005 #14

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will they then continue it through Northern Africa and the Atlantic straight to Texas ? :tongue:

16. Jun 19, 2005 #15
    Good point, vanesch - amazingly, many people (even policy-makers) seem to underestimate the effectiveness of guerrilla tactics and the resolve of people whose countries are being occupied to resist the occupation. I wonder why they don't understand people's resolve to resist occupation and the stealing of their land and resources? Surely anyone can at least understand if they think what they would do if they were put in the same position (being occupied by hostile forces and having their resources stolen)? Perhaps it boils down to racism: perhaps they think that people of Arab descent aren't really 'the same' as them, that they should react differently.

17. Jun 19, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

In other news.. Communists have now been elected to 85% of Canadian government

18. Jun 19, 2005 #17
    I personally (after having researched the issue) would not see Israel as the primary cause of the illegal invasion of Iraq – and nor does Bill Blum, actually. It is, however, a major player in the region and if the US is successful in installing a puppet government in Iraq, surely (objectively speaking) this will favour the Israeli administration?
    What has Israel lost from the Iraq occupation, Yonoz? I’m not trying to be ‘funny’ – I’d just like to know (though I probably won’t accept the information uncritically and will investigate it further).

From what I've read, the Israeli administration has thus far indirectly benefited from the mess in Iraq in the following way: world media attention has been focused on what's happening in Iraq and the Israeli administration has taken the opportunity this presents to further its military adventures against the Palestinians (evidence: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4580139.stm) and to build the new 'Berlin War' of our generation (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4268079.stm)... which now extends into the sea (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4104774.stm).
    This is not fair, Yonoz – it’s a ‘victim mentality’, and it is not true. People on these discussion boards have been examining and discussing the Iraq invasion and occupation from many different angles – Israel has not been a particular focus of discussion.
    I thought I’d look this up as it’s been ages since I’ve done any readings on the history of the Israeli-Arab conflict. The Camp David Accords (1978) involved a definite ‘exchange’ (rather than one-sidedly favouring the Egyptians):
    Labelling someone a ‘delusional hysteric’ is not a good argument against what they’re saying. Also, Israel is the sixth (and last) point on Blum's list – before Israel, he lists the reasons for the invasion of Iraq as being:1. Expansion of the American Empire, 2. Idealism, 3. Oil, 4. Globalization, 5. Arms Industry (http://members.aol.com/bblum6/mafia.htm)

19. Jun 19, 2005 #18
    As long as it's not your house (or American houses), I guess there must be nothing wrong with it. And think about your proposed solution, Pengwuino - how would you like to move into one of your "loving neighbours' territories" - say Mexico, or Canada - "if worse came to worse" and your country was invaded and your house and where your family had lived for generations was bulldozed! You'd love it, wouldn't you? And, of course, you'd think it's fair and right and basically ok. Why should other people be happy with treatment you would go to war to resist? Or would you just passively allow yourself to be pushed out of America and live as a totally poverty-stricken refugee in Mexico? No, I think you'd fight (but maybe I'm wrong).

20. Jun 19, 2005 #19
    A good quesiton, Bilal! Of course, we all know why: Israel was specifically set up in the Middle East by the US to be its ally in a strategic and oil-rich region!

Also, here's something interesting I found when researching this issue - President Truman was being lobbied by both Zionists and by anti-Zionists within the US to push for the establishment of an Israeli state:

21. Jun 19, 2005 #20
    I don't think there's such a thing as a "self reliant" nation today, especially when discussing a Western nation. Military power and "special operations" do not have anything to do with self reliance. Israel has no energy resources, a strained water supply and does not produce basic things like automobiles or even motors. It is definitely not self-reliant.
    What does the Uzi have to do with any of this? Is there some reason why Israel should not have developed it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?