US wants to pump Iraqi oil to Haifa

• News
  • Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil Pump
In summary: I think I'm hijacking a thread. In summary, the United States has requested Israel to explore the possibility of pumping oil from Iraq to the oil refineries in Haifa. This request came in a telegram from a senior Pentagon official to a top Foreign Ministry official in Jerusalem. The proposed pipeline would transport oil from the Kirkuk area in Iraq, through Mosul, and across Jordan to Israel. The U.S. has also requested a cost estimate for repairing the Mosul-Haifa pipeline that was previously in use before 1948. This development is seen as a potential benefit for both Israel and the U.S. in terms of securing a new source of oil and possibly resolving the Palestinian issue. However, it is uncertain if this pipeline
fourier jr
U.S. checking possibility of pumping oil from northern Iraq to Haifa, via Jordan

By Amiram Cohen

The United States has asked Israel to check the possibility of pumping oil from Iraq to the oil refineries in Haifa. The request came in a telegram last week from a senior Pentagon official to a top Foreign Ministry official in Jerusalem.

The new pipeline would take oil from the Kirkuk area, where some 40 percent of Iraqi oil is produced, and transport it via Mosul, and then across Jordan to Israel. The U.S. telegram included a request for a cost estimate for repairing the Mosul-Haifa pipeline that was in use prior to 1948. During the War of Independence, the Iraqis stopped the flow of oil to Haifa and the pipeline fell into disrepair over the years.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=332835&contrassID=2&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

& check this out. Even before the "war", Bill Blum wrote that this would happen!
Israel: The men driving Bush to war include long-time militant supporters of Israel, such as Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz, and Douglas Feith, who, along with the rest of the powerful American-Israeli lobby, have advocated striking Iraq for years. Israel has been playing a key role in the American military buildup to the war. Besides getting rid of its arch enemy, Israel may have the opportunity after the war to carry out its final solution to the Palestinian question -- transferring them to Jordan, ("liberated") Iraq, and anywhere else that expanded US hegemony in the Middle East will allow. At the same time, Iraq's abundant water could be diverted to relieve a parched Israel and an old Iraqi-to-Israel oil pipeline could be rejuvenated.
http://members.aol.com/bblum6/mafia.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fourier jr said:

The United States has asked Israel to check the possibility of pumping oil from Iraq to the oil refineries in Haifa.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I wonder how many days per year that pipeline will be operational...

What's it made of ? 2m thick armored plate in 20 m thick concrete ?

Last edited:
fourier jr said:
U.S. checking possibility of pumping oil from northern Iraq to Haifa, via Jordan

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=332835&contrassID=2&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

& check this out. Even before the "war", Bill Blum wrote that this would happen!

http://members.aol.com/bblum6/mafia.htm
Thanks for the interesting links, Fourier jr. Israel's role in the current middle eastern conflicts has not been explored as much as it needs to be.

does bill blum know his stuff or what?! :bugeye:

There's a very slim chance that pipeline will become a reality any time soon.
Still, that doesn't stop all of you from waving this like it proves Israel has an interest in the war in Iraq and is the cause of it. Had you any insight into the matter you would see not only Israel has gained very little from it, it has also lost much.
Had it been a port in an Arab country assisting the US in the war in Iraq, none of you would have given this matter a thought. However, since this is Israel, I guess it deserves tough scrutiny and criticism. I would just like to remind you Israel gave up its only oil sources in exchange for nothing but peaceful relations with Egypt. That peace is today a very cold one, with the Egyptian authorities doing all they can to prevent any normalisation of civilian and economic contacts with Israel. Also, the treaty was devised and signed by a Likkud (right winged party, currently in power) government, headed by Menahem Begin (called a "big terrorist" in the Rachel Corrie thread).
Anyone who thinks pumping water from Iraq to Israel is a viable concept is a delusional hysteric. You revere this guy like he's an authority, yet if I were to refer you to a symmetrically opposing site you would discard it as "biased".

fourier jr said:
The request came in a telegram last week from a senior Pentagon official to a top Foreign Ministry official in Jerusalem.

Telegram? Guess we better get out our muskets in preperation for war with iran!

Yonoz said:
Still, that doesn't stop all of you from waving this like it proves Israel has an interest in the war in Iraq and is the cause of it. Had you any insight into the matter you would see not only Israel has gained very little from it, it has also lost much.
Had it been a port in an Arab country assisting the US in the war in Iraq, none of you would have given this matter a thought. However, since this is Israel, I guess it deserves tough scrutiny and criticism. I would just like to remind you Israel gave up its only oil sources in exchange for nothing but peaceful relations with Egypt. That peace is today a very cold one, with the Egyptian authorities doing all they can to prevent any normalisation of civilian and economic contacts with Israel. Also, the treaty was devised and signed by a Likkud (right winged party, currently in power) government, headed by Menahem Begin (called a "big terrorist" in the Rachel Corrie thread).
Anyone who thinks pumping water from Iraq to Israel is a viable concept is a delusional hysteric. You revere this guy like he's an authority, yet if I were to refer you to a symmetrically opposing site you would discard it as "biased".

all good points, its like the world is out to get israel. israel is one of the most self reliant nations for its size, due mainly to its millitary and special operations. also, where would gangsters of the world be without the uzi? :tongue2:

1 said:
all good points, its like the world is out to get israel. israel is one of the most self reliant nations for its size, due mainly to its millitary and special operations. also, where would gangsters of the world be without the uzi? :tongue2:

They'd still be using tommyguns WHICH ARE COOL!

DOWN WITH ISRAEL!

1 said:
...israel is one of the most self reliant nations for its size, due mainly to its millitary and special operations. also, where would gangsters of the world be without the uzi? :tongue2:
Israel is still very reliant on the U.S. for financial aid and military protection, and the U.S. BTW is the gangster that owns (and sells) the uzi.

What do you mean owns and sells it? Arent there dozens of varieties?

Or is it like that type of wine where you can only use the name if its created at a certain winery...

Last edited:
1 said:

israel has a pretty bad record when it comes to humna rights. hasn't anyone heard of palestinian houses getting bulldozed? some jewish person referred to palestinians as "filthy animals" on msnbc also.
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=8439
some irony there...

Who cares what some random guy says. Whats bulldozing a few houses compared to carbombs and pipebombs and suicide bombers? That whole conflict is pretty "N/A" when it comes to human rights because its just insanity going on on both sides with 1 side pretty much fighting for their existence (no, Palestinians can move into one of their loving neighbors territory if worse comes to worse...)

What if majority of Iraqi people do not agree to send their oil to Israel or to recognize this ‘’State’’ which established by destruction of Palestine?

For those American who support the Zionists, why they do not establish Jews State in California or Texas , then they can give them money, oil and ******* to enjoy them?

No for religious Ghettos or ethic cleansing in ME based on biblical myth:
Whether the ‘’Kingdom of Jerusalem’’ 12th century or “Artz Israel” in 20th century. This land belongs to its native people not for selective immigration based on religion.

Peaceful Jews are welcomed in ME, but those Zionists invaders will be defeated as what happen to crusaders in 12the century.

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Middle_East/Palestine/photo59605.htm

This ancient land
is saturated with sorrow.
Every day adds a brook
to the sea of tears.
Sorrow is like a rain,
it respects no boundaries,
it doesn't ask you
how do you name your God.

(Vera Roeder
Israeli human right activist)

Yonoz said:

Will they then continue it through Northern Africa and the Atlantic straight to Texas ? :tongue:

vanesch said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I wonder how many days per year that pipeline will be operational...

What's it made of ? 2m thick armored plate in 20 m thick concrete ?
Good point, vanesch - amazingly, many people (even policy-makers) seem to underestimate the effectiveness of guerrilla tactics and the resolve of people whose countries are being occupied to resist the occupation. I wonder why they don't understand people's resolve to resist occupation and the stealing of their land and resources? Surely anyone can at least understand if they think what they would do if they were put in the same position (being occupied by hostile forces and having their resources stolen)? Perhaps it boils down to racism: perhaps they think that people of Arab descent aren't really 'the same' as them, that they should react differently.

In other news.. Communists have now been elected to 85% of Canadian government

Yonoz said:
Still, that doesn't stop all of you from waving this like it proves Israel has an interest in the war in Iraq and is the cause of it.
I personally (after having researched the issue) would not see Israel as the primary cause of the illegal invasion of Iraq – and nor does Bill Blum, actually. It is, however, a major player in the region and if the US is successful in installing a puppet government in Iraq, surely (objectively speaking) this will favour the Israeli administration?
Yonoz said:
Had you any insight into the matter you would see not only Israel has gained very little from it, it has also lost much.
What has Israel lost from the Iraq occupation, Yonoz? I’m not trying to be ‘funny’ – I’d just like to know (though I probably won’t accept the information uncritically and will investigate it further).

From what I've read, the Israeli administration has thus far indirectly benefited from the mess in Iraq in the following way: world media attention has been focused on what's happening in Iraq and the Israeli administration has taken the opportunity this presents to further its military adventures against the Palestinians (evidence: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4580139.stm) and to build the new 'Berlin War' of our generation (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4268079.stm)... which now extends into the sea (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4104774.stm).
Yonoz said:
Had it been a port in an Arab country assisting the US in the war in Iraq, none of you would have given this matter a thought. However, since this is Israel, I guess it deserves tough scrutiny and criticism.
This is not fair, Yonoz – it’s a ‘victim mentality’, and it is not true. People on these discussion boards have been examining and discussing the Iraq invasion and occupation from many different angles – Israel has not been a particular focus of discussion.
Yonoz said:
I would just like to remind you Israel gave up its only oil sources in exchange for nothing but peaceful relations with Egypt. That peace is today a very cold one, with the Egyptian authorities doing all they can to prevent any normalisation of civilian and economic contacts with Israel. Also, the treaty was devised and signed by a Likkud (right winged party, currently in power) government, headed by Menahem Begin (called a "big terrorist" in the Rachel Corrie thread).
I thought I’d look this up as it’s been ages since I’ve done any readings on the history of the Israeli-Arab conflict. The Camp David Accords (1978) involved a definite ‘exchange’ (rather than one-sidedly favouring the Egyptians):
According to the Israeli-Egyptian portion of the agreement, Israel had to withdraw both its troops and settlers from the Sinai and restore it to Egyptian control in return for normal diplomatic relations with Egypt, guarantees of freedom of passage through the Suez Canal and other nearby waterways (such as the Straits of Tiran), and a restriction on the number of troops Egypt could place on the Sinai peninsula. Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_David_Accords_(1978)
Yonoz said:
Labelling someone a ‘delusional hysteric’ is not a good argument against what they’re saying. Also, Israel is the sixth (and last) point on Blum's list – before Israel, he lists the reasons for the invasion of Iraq as being:1. Expansion of the American Empire, 2. Idealism, 3. Oil, 4. Globalization, 5. Arms Industry (http://members.aol.com/bblum6/mafia.htm )

Pengwuino said:
Who cares what some random guy says. Whats bulldozing a few houses compared to carbombs and pipebombs and suicide bombers? That whole conflict is pretty "N/A" when it comes to human rights because its just insanity going on on both sides with 1 side pretty much fighting for their existence (no, Palestinians can move into one of their loving neighbors territory if worse comes to worse...)
As long as it's not your house (or American houses), I guess there must be nothing wrong with it. And think about your proposed solution, Pengwuino - how would you like to move into one of your "loving neighbours' territories" - say Mexico, or Canada - "if worse came to worse" and your country was invaded and your house and where your family had lived for generations was bulldozed! You'd love it, wouldn't you? And, of course, you'd think it's fair and right and basically ok. Why should other people be happy with treatment you would go to war to resist? Or would you just passively allow yourself to be pushed out of America and live as a totally poverty-stricken refugee in Mexico? No, I think you'd fight (but maybe I'm wrong).

Bilal said:
For those American who support the Zionists, why they do not establish Jews State in California or Texas , then they can give them money, oil and ******* to enjoy them?
A good quesiton, Bilal! Of course, we all know why: Israel was specifically set up in the Middle East by the US to be its ally in a strategic and oil-rich region!

Also, here's something interesting I found when researching this issue - President Truman was being lobbied by both Zionists and by anti-Zionists within the US to push for the establishment of an Israeli state:
But Truman was concerned about the domestic political implications as well as the foreign policy implications of the partition issue. As he himself put it during a meeting with U.S. ambassadors to the Middle East, according to William A. Eddy, the ambassador to Saudi Arabia, "I'm sorry gentlemen, but I have to answer to hundreds of thousands who are anxious for the success of Zionism: I do not have hundreds of thousands of Arabs among my constituents."(51) Later, in a 1953 article in the American Zionist, Emmanuel Neumann, president of the Zionist Organization of America, conceded that Truman would not have worked so hard for the creation of Israel but for "the prospect of wholesale defections from the Democratic Party."(52) Truman's decision to support the Zionist cause was also influenced by Samuel I. Rosenman, David K. Niles, and Clark Clifford, all members of his staff, and Eddie Jacobson, his close friend and former business partner. Truman later wrote:

The White House, too, was subjected to a constant barrage. I do not think I ever had as much pressure and propaganda aimed at the White House as I had in this instance. The persistence of a few of the extreme Zionist leaders--actuated by political motives and engaging in political threats--disturbed and annoyed me.(53)

Pressure on Truman also came from non-Jewish fundamentalists and politicians.

In some cases, support for Jewish admission to and statehood in Palestine may have had another domestic political angle. That support sidestepped the sensitive issue of U.S. immigration quotas, which had kept European Jews out of the United States since the 1920s and had left them at the mercy of the Nazis. In other words, support for Zionism may have been a convenient way for people who did not want Jews to come to the United States to avoid appearing anti-Semitic. American classical liberals and others, including the American Council for Judaism, opposed the quotas, and it is probable that many of the refugees, given the option, would have preferred to come to the United States. Reference: http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-159.html (the Cato Institute)

1 said:
I don't think there's such a thing as a "self reliant" nation today, especially when discussing a Western nation. Military power and "special operations" do not have anything to do with self reliance. Israel has no energy resources, a strained water supply and does not produce basic things like automobiles or even motors. It is definitely not self-reliant.
What does the Uzi have to do with any of this? Is there some reason why Israel should not have developed it?

fourier jr said:
israel has a pretty bad record when it comes to humna rights. hasn't anyone heard of palestinian houses getting bulldozed? some jewish person referred to palestinians as "filthy animals" on msnbc also.
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=8439
some irony there...
OOOOH! "filthy animals"? That's really bad. Yep, that sure qualifies as a human rights violation. You write something like "some Jewish person" and expect us to take you seriously?

Bilal said:
What if majority of Iraqi people do not agree to send their oil to Israel or to recognize this ‘’State’’ which established by destruction of Palestine?
Once again, you lie. There was no Palestine, you could have accepted the UN partition plan and had your own state, but you chose to try to destroy the Jewish state. Why don't you criticize Syria, Jordan and Egypt for not founding a Palestinian state in the territories while they held them? Hypocrite.

Bilal said:
Because we already have a democracy here, thankyou. Of course you see no problem with displacing Jews.

Bilal said:
No for religious Ghettos or ethic cleansing in ME based on biblical myth:
Ethnic cleansing? With rubber bullets?
Bilal said:
Whether the ‘’Kingdom of Jerusalem’’ 12th century or “Artz Israel” in 20th century. This land belongs to its native people not for selective immigration based on religion.
This is not the 12th century and there are no more crusades. Get over it.

Bilal said:
Peaceful Jews are welcomed in ME, but those Zionists invaders will be defeated as what happen to crusaders in 12the century.
You're stuck in the 12th century Bilal. Your people didn't show their welcome to the peaceful Jews that came here before there was Israel and before anyone thought about oil and globalisation. We've been over this, you've shown your "welcome" when it comes to killing children simply because you disagree with where their parents chose to live. Quoting poems doesn't make up for your murderous ideas.

I don't get this thread at all. The U.S. considered something that is objectively known to have merit. (why else would there have already been a pipeline there? :tongue2:)

alexandra said:
Good point, vanesch - amazingly, many people (even policy-makers) seem to underestimate the effectiveness of guerrilla tactics

Maybe we're deluded and the real reason is to ATTRACT terrorists to it. Maybe it is a fake pipeline with glue on it ? :redface:

free oil for israel, good job yanks !

alexandra said:
I personally (after having researched the issue) would not see Israel as the primary cause of the illegal invasion of Iraq – and nor does Bill Blum, actually. It is, however, a major player in the region and if the US is successful in installing a puppet government in Iraq, surely (objectively speaking) this will favour the Israeli administration?
What has Israel lost from the Iraq occupation, Yonoz? I’m not trying to be ‘funny’ – I’d just like to know (though I probably won’t accept the information uncritically and will investigate it further).
From what I've read, the Israeli administration has thus far indirectly benefited from the mess in Iraq in the following way: world media attention has been focused on what's happening in Iraq and the Israeli administration has taken the opportunity this presents to further its military adventures against the Palestinians (evidence: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4580139.stm) and to build the new 'Berlin War' of our generation (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4268079.stm)... which now extends into the sea (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4104774.stm).
I disagree that the current Iraqi government is a "puppet" government - but that is a whole different argument. Israel would benefit in any case where a dictatorship would become a democracy in the region (except maybe in the case of Jordan). However, as this thread shows, Israel and Jewish populations world wide are currently facing a wave of criticism and hatred, due partially to the "war against terror". Furthermore, to appease the Arab leaderships that supported the US, and to improve its image, it is mounting much more pressure on Israel to provide concessions. That is one of the reasons for Sharon's sudden about-turn with regards to territorial concessions, especially unilateral ones. For that, I am satisfied with the US handling of the situation, as Sharon needs much pressure to carry out such disputed concessions. Of course, you hear nothing of the terrible rift in Israeli society regarding the disengagement plan - it's just too boring to put on news sites and shows, it's much more exciting to show tanks and APCs rolling down streets and Palestinians running for cover.
I object to your phrasing of the term "military adventures". We are not ruthless barbarians. If you have any question as to the reasons for a specific action I would be glad to research it for you. Do not assume the IDF is stalking Palestinian towns in search for innocent victims. The data presented to you on the web and media is very shallow. Of course, there are bad people in the IDF and mistakes are made. I am also unhappy with the mainstream view of Israel's responsibility for the Palestinian problem ("They brought it upon themselves"..."We're at war and they're our enemy, why should we help them?" etc.) but we are far from the way we are portrayed by overzealous activists and media-savvy journalists (and biased forum members :devil: )
World media attention may have focused on Iraq, but as you can see Israel is one of the first things to come to mind when discussing the subject. The US's presence in Iraq is synonymous with its support of Israel, especially to the ill-informed. This thread is not at all unique, wherever there is criticism of US foreign policy, Israel is one of the first 'examples' of the US's ill-doings. This is also why I'm less critical of similar mistakes, I simply know there's more than meets the eye. Your research may be very thorough considering your abilities and resources, but as anyone who's been here for a while will tell you, you can spend a week, a month, a year, a decade or your whole life in Israel and still not make up your mind about the conflict.
As for the so-called "wall" (actually almost all of it is a fence, it's a wall only where there's civilian activity too close to the fence for safety): I have yet to research the subject completely, but I am against it. However, I do understand the reasoning behind it. It has also been very successful in preventing the suicide attacks that were the cause for its erection. I find it very hard to argue against the wall with other Israelis. The argument usually ends in me saying it is making life harder for the Palestinians, but I cannot deny it saves Israeli lives. In most Israelis' eyes, the Palestinians are paying a fair price, and I can't say I don't understand them.
Side note: It is very hard to be candid about these matters when people like Bilal, who cannot admit to their own side's faults, are about. Any recognition by myself of wrongdoing by Israel will be perceived as a sort of small victory in this apparent battle between Israeli supporters and bashers. This conflict is characterised by many shades of gray and I'm trying to provide you with some insight, but when I see lies and rewritings of history I cannot stay silent. I am still an Israeli and a Zionist.
As for the "sea" remark - that is a very typical mistake of an uninformed critic. There is no territorial link between Gaza and the West Bank. These two barriers are not connected in any way. I actually know a bit about this issue as I have dealt with that area during my service. This barrier is between Israel and Gaza, it does not limit legitimate Palestinian movement at all. I can only say there is a serious problem with regards to seaborne threats from Gaza. I have personally dealt with 2 cases where terrorists evaded our land barriers by diving in the sea, a case where they tried swimming but grew too tired and were shot by snipers, and 2 more cases where Palestinians fishing boats were blown up on the navy vessels that regularly apprehend them when they enter the restricted zone between Israel and Gaza. There were also cases where fishing boats moved to draw our vessels further out and then one would scramble towards a nearby powerplant, though those were just probes to check our response. In short, the IDF has a problem defending Israel from seaborne threats from Gaza and they are examining several options of closing that hole, and that is something Israel has a right to do.

alexandra said:
This is not fair, Yonoz – it’s a ‘victim mentality’, and it is not true. People on these discussion boards have been examining and discussing the Iraq invasion and occupation from many different angles – Israel has not been a particular focus of discussion.
Still, any hint of something good happening to Israel as a result of this conflict is perceived as proof that pro-Israeli (Jewish?) officials manipulated the US to enter a war for Israel's sake, which in my opinion is antisemitism, plain and clear. I know I'm opening a Pandora's Box but what the heck, I'm too busy during the week to look at all the responses and by the time the weekend comes this thread will once again change topic. :tongue:
alexandra said:
I thought I’d look this up as it’s been ages since I’ve done any readings on the history of the Israeli-Arab conflict. The Camp David Accords (1978) involved a definite ‘exchange’ (rather than one-sidedly favouring the Egyptians):
The Egyptians are very good at following the Accords to the letter, but not their spirit. There is very strong opposition from the government, as well as government-supported opposition, to any normalisation with Israel. For example, establishing business contacts with Egypt is impossible for Israeli businessmen - any Egyptian dealing with Israelis is ostracised. TV shows such as "A Knight Without a Horse" are produced and popularly received. I'd refer you to MEMRI for more examples but that site is "biased". Yeah I know we've been over that, but I'm still not over it. Anyway, they do what they can to avoid true peace.
alexandra said:
Labelling someone a ‘delusional hysteric’ is not a good argument against what they’re saying. Also, Israel is the sixth (and last) point on Blum's list – before Israel, he lists the reasons for the invasion of Iraq as being:1. Expansion of the American Empire, 2. Idealism, 3. Oil, 4. Globalization, 5. Arms Industry (http://members.aol.com/bblum6/mafia.htm )
That statement still lights a big red lightbulb in my head. I really don't think this guy is reliable in any way, having said something like that. Just open an Atlas and see why. :grumpy:

free oil for israel, good job yanks !

I don't follow.

I disagree that the current Iraqi government is a "puppet" government - but that is a whole different argument.

Yes, a different argument. *sigh* I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it very disrespectful to make such contraversial comments as off-handed remarks.

alexandra said:
A good quesiton, Bilal! Of course, we all know why: Israel was specifically set up in the Middle East by the US to be its ally in a strategic and oil-rich region!
1) Israel was not set up by the US. As a matter of fact, the major supporter of Israel until the Arab oil embargo was France. Only after France caved into Arab pressures did the bond between Israel and the US become firm - and this bond is responsible for things like the Camp David Accords, many Israeli-Palestinian agreements and the current road map.
2) There's no oil in Israel. The US has plenty of support from Saudi Arabia and Turkey. Currently the US cannot make any use of Israel in regional conflicts as it would just create more antagonism.
We weren't "set up" by anyone but our parents, grandparents and their predecessors, thankyou very much. Those were not US marines that planted the Eucalypts outside my window, where there used to be swampland, and the USAF did not parachute Rangers to make the dead sea alive with grass and palm trees on its shores. The fields in the Negev desert were not plowed by Sharman or Patton tanks, and Jaffa oranges did not come out of US Army battle rations. The men and women who built this country did not receive help from anyone, and with all due respect to US support, this nation is more than the sum of its weapons and whatever else you may "research".

alexandra said:
Also, here's something interesting I found when researching this issue - President Truman was being lobbied by both Zionists and by anti-Zionists within the US to push for the establishment of an Israeli state:
So you see, alex, Israel is the only solution to the Jewish problem. We have no other home, and no one but us can guarantee our safety. Since this is our only home and since it is so fragile, but especially since there are those who still do not accept our right to a national home, everyone here will go to extraordinary lengths to do what is necessary in their view to preserve it. That is something most foreigners can not understand. It is also why simple research will not reveal the essence of the conflict. You need to experience it in the first person. While everyone is very passionate about our home, we disagree as to how to keep it in safe. We are nearing the climax of this disagreement:
The disengagement plan has caused a spur of emotions in the Israeli public - the settlers have much support. They have chosen orange as their color, and it is everywhere - ribbons on cars, flags and backpacks, armbands, shirts, bumper stickers. There are posters against the plan everywhere, some calling out for those called for reserve service to not show up. Some protesters have even resorted to unnecessary means - blocking highways during rush hour with burning tyres, locking schools and public offices with locks and by gluing keyholes, disabling heavy machinery meant to pave new roads for the evacuation. They have stated they will block roads all over the country for 15 minutes some time this week. The Police is helpless, as they are very organised. The ones who are caught, often minors, refuse to identify, and so remain in custody without contact with anyone, to avoid detection. The peak of the resistance will be during the actual evacuation of the settlements, when the entire police force (which has recruited new policemen just for this), backed by the army, will have to evacuate by force entire settlements full of families. Some of the policemen and soldiers will have to tear their own neighbours from their homes. It's very hard to remove your own family and friends from their homes, especially when they are resisting. I don't need to describe what sort of historical memories this raises for some of the settlers. The security forces are preparing for the worst scenario of all - live weapons and group suicide, such as the one that nearly occurred during the evacuation of the town of Yamit in the Sinai Peninsula in 1982.
This is definitely causing a tear in the nation. Israel is paying a grave price for this disengagement. I cannot think of any other nation that would displace its sons and daughters as a unilateral move towards peace.
Have a look at the responses to a typical editorial about the pullout: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/588918.html to get an idea of the intensity of the public debate.

Hurkyl said:
Yes, a different argument. *sigh* I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it very disrespectful to make such contraversial comments as off-handed remarks.
No disrespect meant. :frown:
What should I have done instead? I can not think of any other way of answering the question without making that remark, and don't have time to start discussing this topic.

Ack, my comment was aimed at alexandra, not you! I was trying to echo your sentiment, since her remarks had really turned me off.

Hurkyl said:
Ack, my comment was aimed at alexandra, not you! I was trying to echo your sentiment, since her remarks had really turned me off.
Oh sorry.
I'm too used to the critical line being so dominant here...

The three Zionists who planned the war on Iraq : Wolfowtiz, Fieth, and Richard Perle, already considered granting Israel the oil and water of Iraq as one of strategic goal of this invasion.

Such ‘’hidden’’ goals are the reason that USA will never succeed in Iraq and they will leave after a lot of pains and blood from both sides.

cronxeh said:
In other news.. Communists have now been elected to 85% of Canadian government

:rofl: um yeah... paul martin, stephen harper & monte solberg are communists. they're all tommy douglas clones. that's a good one pal. tell me there's more where that came from. :rofl:

I don't know... but there sure are a lot of 'shocking' news in the 'World' and sure as heck some are borderline above-top-secret

Hurkyl said:
I don't get this thread at all. The U.S. considered something that is objectively known to have merit. (why else would there have already been a pipeline there? :tongue2:)
There's always a way to assign a nefarious motive to anything the US does, no matter if other people actually think its a good idea or not. See: tsunami relief.