Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

USA-backed Iraq government a shining beacon of err

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1
    Associated Press, 10/10

These are the people the US administration initially put in power - our "shining beacon of Democracy". :rofl:

What's your take on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not surprised...are you ?

4. Oct 10, 2005 #3
    I am. This is great. An excellent sign that the new Iraqi government isn't willing to be another US puppet.

5. Oct 11, 2005 #4
    Lets hope so...

6. Oct 11, 2005 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The interim government wasn't meant to be a shining beacon of democracy. They weren't even elected. It's the government that is coming to be that is supposed to be the shining beacon. This makes it look like they're headed in the right direction.

7. Oct 11, 2005 #6
    So you're saying the interim government was meant to be corrupt? Oh, right.

8. Oct 11, 2005 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Nope - I'm saying this:

Don't read too much into it.

9. Oct 11, 2005 #8
    Ah. If you're just arguing against the wording of the OP, yes that seems an error on his part.

10. Oct 11, 2005 #9
    All the more reason to get out of there and let these people govern themselves. It won't be the end of the world if we let the French extract the oil, we can buy it from them as easy as buying it from Chevron.

The upside is, our children in uniform will no longer be targets, and we can put the $2 billion a week to much better uses, like Homeland security and going after the terrorists that already exist, instead of creating more of them!

11. Oct 11, 2005 #10
    The interim government does reflect upon the administration that put them there however.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?