Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Usa! Usa! Usa!

1. Aug 3, 2004 #1
    The United States Dream Team, just finished getting pounded by Italy!

Good job guys! Keep the embarassments coming and maybe Canada will have a chance at a medal!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We were talking about dream teams; not miracles from the almighty! :biggrin:
  4. Aug 3, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait a minute...this ain't no Dream Team.

THE Dream Team : Jordan, Magic, Larry, Barkley, Drexler, Robinson, Ewing, Mailman, Scottie, Mullin, and Laettner

This team : Iverson, Duncan, Boozer, Stoudamire, LeBron, Carmelo, Marbury, Wade, Jefferson, Odom and Okafor.

See the difference ?
  5. Aug 3, 2004 #4

Staff: Mentor

More like a bad dream.
  6. Aug 3, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Dream team? Wasn't Nick Collison on the US team before he got injured? Give me a starting lineup of Baron Davis, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, and Shaq. Hypothetical final score: USA 126 Italy 73.
  7. Aug 4, 2004 #6
    Gokul43201 is right : there has been only ONE dream team.
    "Baron Davis, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, and Shaq" are fine. But they are just improved humans. Not living gods of BB.
  8. Aug 16, 2004 #7
    Spanked By Puerto Rico

HA HA!

You're team of millionaire Americans that call themselves, "The Dream Team" got destroyed by Puerto Rico.

Just a tinge overconfident eh? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  9. Aug 16, 2004 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Blame Michael Jordan.

Before Jordan, no team in the modern era won the NBA Championship with the league's leading scorer (not even with Jabbar, not even with Chamberlain). Great teams win championships, not great players.

Except, the fact that one human actually could affect the game the way Jordan did proved it's humanly possible and everyone imitates a winner .....

.... except all the other teams imitating the Bulls only had Michael Jordan imitations - not the real thing. It only looks smart if all the other teams make the same dumb mistakes you do.

Unfortunately, the other countries in the Olympics are playing 80's style basketball. The result is no more surprising than Larry Brown's Pistons dismantling of Kobe Bryant-Shaquille O'Neal-Karl Malone-Eddie Payton. (come to think of it - shouldn't Brown have seen this coming?)
  10. Aug 16, 2004 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey! Cool it Dagenais, or we'll just have to bring up the last time Canada won the gold in Hockey!

oh, never mind.
  11. Aug 16, 2004 #10
    What are you talking about?! :surprise:

The Bulls were a dynasty, they had great players!

Michael Jordan was surrounded by good to great players like Scottie Pippen, Tony Kukoc, Dennis Rodman, Luc Longley, and Steve Kerr.

That is an awesome team that played together extremely well and filled their roles perfectly.

Brown did know it was coming.

It should be in the articles I linked to.
  12. Aug 16, 2004 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

Is anyone noticing the fatal flaw in the dream team? :rofl: :rofl:
  13. Aug 16, 2004 #12
    Do you mean drunken vanity, Jimmy
  14. Aug 17, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

I'm not sure, I dont think that much about what I type :tongue2: I was just playing on the fact that one of them was called Boozer. Now the joke is ruined! :frown:
  15. Aug 17, 2004 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I really don't follow basketball, but owing to being alive and occasionally breathing, I recognize the names of Iverson and Okafor only. I do NOT recall any "Dream Team" hype the way there was in the previous games. Was this considered, by anyone's standards, a "Dream Team"? Or has that epithet merely become synonymous with "USA Basketball Team" no matter what the roster is?
  16. Aug 17, 2004 #15
    When you put together professional athletes with lucrative contracts in one team you're bound to have egos clashing. Each man for himself, rather than for the team. I miss the good old days with Jordan, Fun times..
  17. Aug 17, 2004 #16
    PR!PR!PR! ;)
  18. Aug 17, 2004 #17
    haha, I'm sorry but as an Aussie, I do nothing but cheer for Australia and anyone against America ;)

It's unbelievable that with a basketball league the class of the NBA and a country as mad about basketball as America (it's pretty small cookies here) that the US team could perform like this. If we had players that had not the patriotism to go out and play for their country, (I'm assuming that's the case with your big stars) there'd be a national outcry. Luckily most Australian sportsmen and women put the country ahead of any professional contract which could explain why we perform rather decently at the Olympics for a puny country of 19 million odd- talking about the games in general of course, not the basketball.

It was upsetting losing the 4x200 free to the US by .13 of a second.. but hey we can't win them all.
  19. Aug 18, 2004 #18

Glad to see you enjoying this Dagenais. And where exactly is the Canadian basketball team ranked (if they even made it to the olympics. :rolleyes: )
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?