Usain Bolt's Physics: Derivation Analysis

• Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of Usain Bolt's race equations, specifically the differential equation for power. The speaker shares a paper that was published on the topic and believes it is more convenient to study from than a 9-minute YouTube video. They also express their opinion that the analysis oversimplifies the role of wind resistance in Bolt's top speed, stating that his biomechanical and physiological limits are the primary factors in his performance. The speaker also questions the expertise of the person who conducted the analysis, as they believe it was done by a "math geek" rather than an athletic coach.
kaleidoscope
I found this derivation of Usain Bolt's race equations and would like to know your opinion regarding the analysis (especially the differential equation for the power). Is it oversimplified or just fine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLXbLWiN1rQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if I have time to sit through a 9-minute YouTube video, but you can check out this paper that was published in AJP on the same topic.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.1952

I think the paper is a lot more convenient to study from than the video.

Zz.

I don't know the math that well, but I do know running and the vid attributes Bolt's top end speed in the constant speed phase of the run, from 40 through 100 meters, as the result of an equilibrium between the ground reaction force moving him forward and wind resistance as a force to the rear. That's a crock. After 40 meters Bolt has physically reached his biomechanical and physiological limit in his ability to increase the two primary variables related to running speed: stride length and stride frequency. Wind resistance does have a small effect, but I guarantee that if Bolt was able to increase his stride frequency by any amount that would transfer directly to his speed. Wind resistance as a function of terminal velocity pertains to free falling objects or perhaps jet aircraft, but this analysis was done by a math geek and not an athletic coach.

1. How does Usain Bolt's body structure contribute to his speed?

Usain Bolt's tall and lean body structure with long legs and a short torso allows for a longer stride and quicker turnover rate, which ultimately leads to his incredible speed.

2. What is the significance of Bolt's reaction time in his races?

Bolt's average reaction time at the start of a race is around 0.15 seconds, which is considered to be on the slower side. However, his immense speed and acceleration make up for this and allow him to catch up to and surpass his competitors.

3. How does Bolt maintain his speed for the entire race?

Bolt's efficient running form and technique, along with his strong and powerful muscles, help him maintain his speed throughout the race. He also has a high level of endurance and can sustain his speed for longer periods of time.

4. What role does air resistance play in Bolt's performance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a major factor in sprinting races. However, Bolt's tall and lean body allows him to cut through the air more efficiently, reducing the effects of air resistance on his speed.

5. How do Bolt's world record times compare to the limits of human running ability?

Bolt's world record times in the 100m and 200m races are considered to be close to the limits of human running ability. According to scientific studies, it is estimated that the theoretical limit for the 100m dash is around 9.48 seconds, and Bolt's current world record is 9.58 seconds.