Building USB-Controlled Robot on Budget

• Thread starter MRClark32493
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot Usb
In summary, the conversation discusses building a robot that will hold a UMPC connected to the internet and be controlled through USB. The person is looking for affordable solutions and a micro-controller that can communicate via serial or USB to vary the speeds of a 12v motor. They have some programming knowledge and are considering using an Arduino, motorshield, and Bluetooth shield.
MRClark32493
I am new to electrical engineering, and have several questions involving a project that i have begun. The project is that i am building a 'robot' that will hold a UMPC connected to the internet, and the 'robot' itself will be controlled USB through the UMPC. I am looking to spend as little money as possible to do this, and am looking for cheep solutions. I am looking for some micro-controller that will communicate via either serial or USB that will be able to vary the speeds of a 12v motor. I have speed controllers that take PWM and convert it to a varying 12v signal, but i need a cheep, easily interfacable controller that can produce a PWM signal. I have some programing knowledge, and can program in BASIC, .NET, C#, C++, and C. All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt.

Engineering news on Phys.org
arduino + motorshield + bluetooth shield?

1. What components do I need to build a USB-controlled robot on a budget?

To build a USB-controlled robot on a budget, you will need a microcontroller (such as an Arduino or Raspberry Pi), motors, motor drivers, sensors, and a USB cable. You may also need a breadboard, jumper wires, and other basic electronic components depending on the specific design of your robot.

2. How much does it cost to build a USB-controlled robot on a budget?

The cost of building a USB-controlled robot on a budget can vary depending on the components and materials you choose to use. However, on average, you can expect to spend around $50-$100 for a basic robot. Keep in mind that the cost may increase if you want to add more advanced features or if you need to purchase tools or equipment.

3. Do I need programming skills to build a USB-controlled robot?

Yes, you will need basic programming skills to build a USB-controlled robot. You will need to write code to control the movements of the robot, read sensor data, and communicate with the microcontroller through the USB port. However, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can help you learn the necessary programming skills.

4. Can I use any microcontroller to build a USB-controlled robot?

Yes, you can use any microcontroller that has a USB port and can be programmed to control motors and sensors. Popular choices for building USB-controlled robots include Arduino and Raspberry Pi, but there are other options available as well.

5. Is it possible to add more features to my USB-controlled robot later on?

Yes, one of the great things about building a USB-controlled robot is that you can easily add or upgrade features as you learn and improve your skills. You can add new sensors, change the motor drivers, or even use a different microcontroller to give your robot more capabilities and functionality.