Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

USB eyepiece

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I stumbled across this.
    http://www.innovatoys.com/tech-gadgets/usb-eyepiece-for-microscopes/5937

I've got a 6" reflector on an equatorial mount. At some angles, an hour of viewing could put me in a chiropractor's office.

It would be cool to observe the sky from a sitting position that didn't put a crick in my neck.
    Do you guys think this would produce a quality image that could be comparable to one's eye to the eyepiece?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Also marketed as the Orion Starshoot astrocam: http://www.telescope.com/Astrophoto...Imaging-Camera-IV/pc/-1/c/4/sc/58/p/52175.uts

It isn't equivalent to the naked eye, but can be better or worse, depending on your point of view. In realtime, it is worse than the naked eye, but with exposures of a few seconds will reveal faint objects you can't see with the naked eye. Or with many short exposures and post-processing, it will reveal details you can't see with the naked eye. That's the entry-point into astrophotography -- see my website for details.

4. Feb 6, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Dave

for that price, it would be worth having a play and see what can be achieved
    For bright objects like the moon, it should be great, not so good on the planets, and definitely interesting to see how it
    works on star clusters, comets and nebula etc.
    Put a solar filter over the front of your scope and do some sunspot images as well

At Russ suggested, you can do what he and I do with even the more advanced cameras and take many
    short exposure images that you then stack on each other in free software like DSS ( Deep Sky Stacker)
    This produces a total combined exposure time of all the individual exposures :)

get one and have a play, you don't have much to loose ;)

cheers
    Dave

5. Feb 6, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ohhh ... looking at that link Russ gave to the Orion site
    there's a bunch of lunar, solar and planet pix there .... looking good

D

6. Feb 6, 2015 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My primary interest is in planets. Moon doesn't really interest me, and stars are still just points, even in a scope.

I'd prefer realtime, but I imagine having a computer handy would start me into astrophotog.

I'd like to be able to image Mars features, Jupiter's bands and GRS, and subtleties in Saturn's rings.

So, in your opinion(s), it's not just a cheap piece of plastic with cheap electronics?

7. Feb 8, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well if the selected images in that link on the Orion site are to be believed, then it has good ( not great) possibilities
    ( the thing is they didn't say what sort of scope the camera was used on for each of those images)
    It is right at the bottom end as far as price goes ... so in the ol' words, "ya gets what ya pays for"

its going to most likely give you a reasonable start into astrophotography and that will help you decide if you want
    to make a bigger investment for a greater return at a later date

cheers
    Dave

8. Feb 12, 2015 #7
    I wish I could be more helpful with details but to add to the already high quality from russ watters, a new member here, a teacher/professor in Astronomy iirc, posts in the astronomy section and has shown some truly remarkable high quality images he has taken with fairly modest equipment. Also this site should be interesting http://www.astro-photo.nl/

I haven't yet bought such an eyepiece for telescopy but I do have a cheap one for microscopy and while it has tradeoffs, overall it was an excellent purchase that I'm very happy I made the decision.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook