1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

USB / FireWire adapter

1. Jun 18, 2007 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

So I just bought a Lacie external hard drive. Problem is - my laptop doesn't have firewire - and my external hard drive only has a firewire port. So do good USB/firewire adapters exist? I searched on the Internet for some - but there don't seem to be many of them. Does the adapter allow a firewire software to be connected to a laptop with only USB ports?

Thanks!

For some reason, many of the adapters have ratings of 1 or 2 stars. It could be selection bias in that people are likely to submit negative reviews of products that they can't get to work - but the fact that so many products have so few stars worries me...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2007 #2
    There is no such thing as a USB/Firewire adapter as the interfaces are not compatible.
    I suggest you exchange it for a USB2 external hard drive and preferably one that also has an eSata connection.

Alternatively, you can buy a PCMCIA or express card with a firewire interface for your laptop.

4. Jun 18, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

Firewire and USB are two different [bus] communication technologies. You can't simply switch a firewire device into a usb port. As a matter of fact, I don't believe that there exist any such adapter (remember two different technologies).
    Maybe you can get some sort of hub (dual firewire/usb hub).

Edit: Got beaten to it :)

5. Jun 18, 2007 #4

Simfish

Gold Member

6. Jun 18, 2007 #5
    No they are not.
    Practically all laptops either have a PCMCIA card interface or a new express interface (the new laptops).

What's the make and model of your laptop?

Here is a list of Firewire cardbus adapters

7. Jun 18, 2007 #6

Simfish

Gold Member

But doesn't the Wikipedia article say that PCMCIA cards are a type of memory card format? (PCMCIA, secure digital, memory stick, and compact flash are all categorized as such).

hmm - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_memory_cards doesn't list PCMCIA - it only lists the others, even though the above-mentioned Wikipedia article does. (of course I can't always trust Wikipedia - but it generally seems accurate for computer-related info)

Laptop is a Gateway MT6451 notebook.

hmm - the website lists "Digital Media Manager™
    4-in-1 Digital Media Manager™ (Memory Stick®,
    Memory Stick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™) " under Digital Media Manager - though my box lists them as memory card readers. Further down the website mentions "Expansion Slot
    PCMCIA - Type I or Type II " - though my computer box doesn't list PCMCIA...

8. Jun 18, 2007 #7

Simfish

Gold Member

Hm, I just looked at the computer diagram - it has a PC Card slot and a memory card reader. So I'd need a firewire to PC card slot interface. So a Firewire cardbus adapter should fit in the slot of PC Card Types I and II almost all the time -right?

9. Jun 18, 2007 #8
  10. Jun 18, 2007 #9

Simfish

Gold Member

Hmm - my firewire thingie is too big to fit into that port...

EDIT: 6-pin connector - laptop only has 4-pin port.

11. Jun 18, 2007 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

FireWire connectors come in 4- and 6-pin versions (the 6-pin provides power, while the 4-pin does not). Your laptop may (oddly enough) have a 4-pin connector, meaning you will need to use a 4-pin cable. What symbol or lettering is above the port?

- Warren

12. Jun 18, 2007 #11
    They actually come in two formats.
    All you need is a little connector to convert to the small format. For a few bucks you should be up and running. :smile:

Warren beat me to it.

13. Jun 18, 2007 #12

Simfish

Gold Member

Okay I see. So I'd need a cable that is 4-pin on one side, and 6-pin on another, right?

14. Jun 18, 2007 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your hard drive has a 6-pin connector, you'll need a cable with a 6-pin connector on one end. If your laptop has a 4-pin connector, then you'll need a cable with a 4-pin connector on the other end. You can buy 6-6 cables, 4-4 cables, and 4-6 cables. As MeJennifer said, you can also buy little adapters, but you might find a cable with the correct connector to be more stable.

- Warren

15. Jun 18, 2007 #14

Simfish

Gold Member

Okay - thanks for all of the help! :)

umm... what's the difference between a male and a female cable?

16. Jun 18, 2007 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Male connectors go... inside female connectors. No explanation is necessary, I hope, for what this means.

Virtually all connectors on computers and peripherals are female. Thus, you almost always need a male-to-male cable. You should be able to just look at the connectors on your devices and choose the appropriate cable.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?