Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

USB multiplexing

1. Aug 15, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,

I've been trying to design a 12:1 2.0 USB multiplexer for a while, with very little success. I've bought a couple of MAX4999 8:1 multiplexers, trying to use two of them in parallel such as shown in the datasheet.

I've put them on a breakout board from Adafruit, and started testing on a breadboard. I'm need at least 12 USB devices to be accessed individually as removable disks, by the microcontroller (Arduino YUN mini). One of which, for example is Mobius Action Camera.

Obviously, the first concern is the high-speed traces and if you can play with them on a simple breadboard, but I did test a single device, with lines running through the breadboard and everything seemed to work fine as long as they didn't run through the multiplexer.

Any thoughts, suggestions, criticism?

Much appreciated,
    Matija

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

rbelli1

Gold Member

Why not get a USB hub? Then they can all be accessed at the same time.

BoB

4. Aug 17, 2016 #3
    That's a great idea! The reason I'm looking in to the multiplexing ICs is cause hubs with 12 ports are too big (I'm building a mobile device), and power consuming. But if you find one that is relatively small, please let me know!

5. Aug 17, 2016 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

they have 2 port devices as well

6. Aug 17, 2016 #5

rbelli1

Gold Member

If you cascade two 7 port hubs you will get 13 ports available. 6 open ports plus the second hub in the first hub. The all 7 from the second.

BoB

7. Aug 21, 2016 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree

what you are trying to do isn't likely to be any smaller

8. Aug 21, 2016 #7

rbelli1

Gold Member

Just google USB hub. You will find all different sizes and shapes. You can also get the hub chips that are not much bigger than the multiplexer you are looking at. Pay very close attention to the layout guidelines in the datasheet and application notes.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted