Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexer | Matija

In summary, a USB multiplexer is needed to allow a microcontroller access to a removable disk drive from 12 USB devices. However, a USB hub can be used instead, and is smaller and more power efficient.
Stric_Matic
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to design a 12:1 2.0 USB multiplexer for a while, with very little success. I've bought a couple of MAX4999 8:1 multiplexers, trying to use two of them in parallel such as shown in the datasheet.

I've put them on a breakout board from Adafruit, and started testing on a breadboard. I'm need at least 12 USB devices to be accessed individually as removable disks, by the microcontroller (Arduino YUN mini). One of which, for example is Mobius Action Camera.

Obviously, the first concern is the high-speed traces and if you can play with them on a simple breadboard, but I did test a single device, with lines running through the breadboard and everything seemed to work fine as long as they didn't run through the multiplexer.

Any thoughts, suggestions, criticism?

Much appreciated,
Matija

Attachments

• MAX4999-476740.pdf
    168.9 KB · Views: 339
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why not get a USB hub? Then they can all be accessed at the same time.

BoB

That's a great idea! The reason I'm looking into the multiplexing ICs is cause hubs with 12 ports are too big (I'm building a mobile device), and power consuming. But if you find one that is relatively small, please let me know!

they have 2 port devices as well

If you cascade two 7 port hubs you will get 13 ports available. 6 open ports plus the second hub in the first hub. The all 7 from the second.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Why not get a USB hub? Then they can all be accessed at the same time.

BoB

I agree

Stric_Matic said:
That's a great idea! The reason I'm looking into the multiplexing ICs is cause hubs with 12 ports are too big (I'm building a mobile device), and power consuming. But if you find one that is relatively small, please let me know!

what you are trying to do isn't likely to be any smaller

Stric_Matic said:
But if you find one that is relatively small, please let me know!

Just google USB hub. You will find all different sizes and shapes. You can also get the hub chips that are not much bigger than the multiplexer you are looking at. Pay very close attention to the layout guidelines in the datasheet and application notes.

BoB

1. What is the purpose of the Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexer?

The Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexer is a device used to connect multiple USB devices to one computer. It allows for easy switching between different USB devices without the need for constantly plugging and unplugging them.

2. How does the Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexer work?

The Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexer has 12 USB ports and 1 output port. Each of the 12 ports can be connected to a different USB device, while the output port is connected to the computer. The multiplexer uses a switching mechanism to select which USB device is currently connected to the computer.

3. Is the Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexer compatible with all USB devices?

Yes, the Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexer is compatible with all USB devices that adhere to the USB 2.0 standard. This includes devices such as keyboards, mice, external hard drives, and printers.

4. Can I connect multiple Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexers together?

Yes, multiple Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexers can be connected together to expand the number of available USB ports. However, it is important to note that the more devices that are connected, the slower the transfer speed may be.

5. Is the Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexer easy to set up and use?

Yes, the Design 12:1 2.0 USB Multiplexer is designed to be user-friendly and easy to set up. Simply plug in the device to a power source and connect it to your computer using a USB cable. The multiplexer also comes with a user manual for any additional assistance.