Unraveling the Mysteries of USB Power Supply: Is it Just 5V or Something More?

In summary, the conversation discusses the power and voltage output of a USB connection to a laptop. The usual specification for a computer USB port is 500ma @ 5V, with a regulated voltage that may drop if more than 1/2 amp is pulled. There is a main transformer that takes the power down from 240V to a standard voltage, and then it is further regulated to 5V for the USB connection.
OnceMore
Hello.

This is probably a silly question. But it is something I haven't been able to find an answer too.

When I connect something to my laptop through the USB, I know that there is 5V coming from the USB connection ...there are many pinout diagrams about that show this. But what is the power into the USB. Surely it is not just 5V's.

Is there some sort of linear/switching regulator at work here?

Like I said, sorry of this is a silly question, I have just being wondering, and I haven't been able to find a decent answer.

Thanks.

-S

Engineering news on Phys.org
OnceMore said:

But what is the power into the USB. Surely it is not just 5V's.

-S

Sorry but this does not make much sense. Power is expressed in Watts not Volts. So it is nonsense to ask if the power is 5V. That is sort of like asking "what time is it ? and getting an answer of 5lbs"

The usual spec for a computer USB port is 500ma @ 5V so the power available is 2.5W. The voltage is pretty well regulated and will not vary much unless you try to pull more then the 1/2 amp available. Then it may drop, and, likely, will be followed by smoke.

Ah sorry. I meant voltage into the USB. I obviously didn't pay too much attention to what I was writing. Sorry.

So, I take it there is a regulator on the input to the USB, which will take it down to the required spec?

-S

Correct, but bear in mind that it isn't going from 240V (or 110V) to 5V. There's a main transformer which takes it down from 240V on the way in and outputs it to a standard (I think it's 18V for my laptop) and then it is taken from there to 5V.

Last edited:
That's great, thanks!

I figured it was something along those lines, but I was 100%.

Many thanks.

-S

1. What is the mystery behind USB power supply?

The mystery of USB power supply lies in the fact that it can deliver different amounts of power to different devices, even though the USB standard specifies a maximum power of 5 volts and 500 milliamps.

2. Why do some USB devices charge faster than others?

This is because some devices have a higher power requirement and can draw more than 500 milliamps from the USB port, while others are designed to only draw the standard amount of power.

3. How can I determine the power output of my USB port?

You can use a USB power meter or a multimeter to measure the voltage and current output of your USB port. The voltage should be close to 5 volts, and the current should not exceed 500 milliamps.

4. Can using a higher amperage charger damage my device?

Yes, using a charger with a higher amperage than what your device is designed for can cause damage, as the device may draw too much power and overheat. It is important to use the charger that is specifically designed for your device.

5. Why do some USB ports provide more power than others?

This is because some USB ports are designed to be used for data transfer only and do not provide a high power output, while others are designed for charging and can provide more power to charge devices faster.