Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

USB Turntable Opinions?

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks interesting. Unfortunately they do not really say much about the turntable mechanics. It looks like it may be pretty good, hard to tell. The price is not prohibitive, I'd say go for it.. let me know how it works. o:)

I had pretty good luck capturing vinyl using a headphone out jack to my sound card. I usedaudacity to capture. Unfortunately the turntable I now have is pretty basic, my had never used anything other then a Shure stylus tracking at .75g. I got separated from my good turntable during my trip to Pa (in your neighborhood) back in '86. The new one looks like something you would tape a dime to for tracking force adjustment. :yuck:
  4. Apr 25, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know what I would do? Find a A/V shop that will rent you a professional quality DJ turntable, one with line out (not phono out), and use a decent-quality sound card to capture the sound from it.

Voila -- you'll get better sound quality than with these $100 pieces of crap, and you won't waste $100 on a piece of crap you'll never use again.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?