USB Type-c vs Thunderbolt?

Summary:
For my iPad Pro (1st generation), USB Type-C or Thunderbolt port is better?
Hi,
I have an iPad Pro (1st generation) with what appears to be a USB type-C port. Period. No other ports, which I’ve been trying to get used for for more than a year now, but that’s not my current issue.
Here’s what is the issue:
I figure it out based on Identify USB Types by Its Appearances Support, still confused, I simply want to know which is faster/better, my USB Type-C port or a Thunderbolt port?
I assume there is an appropriate adapter if the answer is Thunderbolt? :oldconfused:

Answers and Replies

To get the maximum speed of any port it needs to be native on your device and wired into the motherboard. If you have a port capable of say 1GB transfer rate, and you plug an adapter to it that is natively 10GB transfer rate, then that adapter still plugs into the 1GB port so you will only get 1GB as that is your bottleneck.

I would just buy devices that are compatible with whatever port you currently have.

Thunderbolt is technically faster but you won't see the benefit without it having direct access to your motherboard.

Likes DaveE, berkeman and phinds
True.

When gathering gear, people need to consider the protocols and abilities of not only the device's port, but also the cables', hub's/dock's/..., and those of the target device. various cables, each optimized for different chores. While power/charing cables can be long, high speed data transfer protocols (read: TB3, USB3.1.x) abhor long cables.

It appears that Apple chose to only support USB2.0 on the charging cable supplied with the new iPPs. It was, perhaps, done to balance the size of the power conductors needed with their manic drive for "thin" and/or to allow for a longer cable. USB3.x and TB3 require more data lines, leading to bulkier cables, and can have issues with longer cables.