Can a USB Y-Cable Solve My Problem?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb
In summary, there is a USB Y-cable available for purchase, but its compatibility with a keyboard is uncertain. The individual asking the question is currently using a KVM switch for video and audio peripherals, but the keyboard does not function when connected through the KVM. They are using a USB-to-PS/2 converter to directly plug the keyboard into an older PC without USB ports. However, this causes a "Keyboard error" during hardware check before Windows is loaded. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is there such a thing as a USB Y-cable? I have a USB keyboard that I'd like to use for 2 alternate PCs without plugging it out of one and into the other whenever I switch.

I have a KVM switch but the keyboard will not function on one of the PCs through the KVM switch. It needs a direct plugin to the older PC which is running WinNT4, has only PS/2 ports and no USB. I am using a USB-to-PS/2 convertor to plug the keyboard into that old PC; but it has to be a direct plugin that goes around the KVM. (KVM leads to a "Keyboard error" during Hardware check before WinNT is loaded.)

Right now the KVM is being used just for video and audio peripherals.

Thanks in advance for any useful ideas.

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. Can a USB Y-Cable solve my problem of not enough USB ports?

Yes, a USB Y-Cable can solve this problem. It allows you to connect two devices to one USB port, effectively doubling the number of ports available.

2. Will a USB Y-Cable affect the speed or performance of my devices?

No, a USB Y-Cable will not affect the speed or performance of your devices. It simply allows for multiple devices to be connected to one USB port.

3. Can I use a USB Y-Cable for any type of USB device?

Yes, a USB Y-Cable can be used for any type of USB device, as long as the device is compatible with the USB port it is being connected to.

4. Do I need any additional software or drivers to use a USB Y-Cable?

No, you do not need any additional software or drivers to use a USB Y-Cable. It is a simple plug-and-play solution.

5. Can I use a USB Y-Cable to charge my devices?

Yes, a USB Y-Cable can be used for charging devices as long as the USB port it is connected to provides enough power for both devices.