Proving the Limit of x^2sin(1/x) as x Approaches 0 Using Delta-Epsilon Proof

• Thread starter Math_Geek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the limit as x goes to 0 of x^2 sin(1/x)=0 can be proven using a delta-epsilon proof. By considering the expression |x^2 sin(1/x)|, where sin(1/x) is bounded by one, the limit can be shown to be 0. This is done by choosing epsilon to be the square root of epsilon, and showing that for any x with |x| < √epsilon, the expression is less than epsilon. The importance of clear thinking and clear writing is emphasized in this process.
Math_Geek

Homework Statement

limit as x goes to 0 of x^2 sin(1/x)=0

Homework Equations

Use delta-epsilon proof

The Attempt at a Solution

So |f(x)-L|=|x^2 sin(1/x)|=|x^2||sin(1/x)| and I know that sin(1/x) is bounded by one. I am not sure how to finish because of the x^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
… one step at a time … !

Math_Geek said:
So |f(x)-L| = |x^2 sin(1/x)| = |x^2||sin(1/x)| and I know that sin(1/x) is bounded by one. I am not sure how to finish because of the x^2.

Hi Michelle! :smile:

I can't make out whether you've got the answer or not.

You must practise stating things clearly.

And thinking clearly! One step at a time!

First step: what do you think the limit is?

Second step: why do you think it's that (in layman's terms)?

Third step: put second step into delta-epsilon form.

:smile: … three steps to happiness! … :smile:
Have a go!

the limit is 0, I think this because it given, also I know sin(1/x) is bounded by so that leaves x^2, so if I choose my epsilon to be sqrt epsilon. then when you square the x then x^2<epsilon
Right?

… oh happiness … !

Math_Geek said:
the limit is 0, I think this because it given, also I know sin(1/x) is bounded by so that leaves x^2, so if I choose my epsilon to be sqrt epsilon. then when you square the x then x^2<epsilon
Right?

Very good! :smile:

hmm … now we've got you thinking clearly, how about writing clearly?

You see … you meant "… my delta to be sqrt epsilon", didn't you?

… and it would be much better if you got into the habit of actually writing "Given any epsilon > 0, then for any x with |x| < √epsilon, |x^2sin(1/x) |≤ x^2 < epsilon; therefore lim(x¬0) = 0", instead of just thinking it! :rolleyes:

1. What is a delta-epsilon proof?

A delta-epsilon proof is a method used in mathematical analysis to prove the limit of a function. It involves using two variables, delta (δ) and epsilon (ε), to demonstrate that for any given value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of delta such that the difference between the input and output of the function is less than epsilon.

2. Why is a delta-epsilon proof important?

Delta-epsilon proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and logical way to prove the limit of a function. They are used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus and real analysis, to establish the convergence or divergence of a sequence or series.

3. How does a delta-epsilon proof work?

A delta-epsilon proof works by setting up a logical argument that shows that for any given value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of delta that satisfies the definition of a limit. This involves using algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning to manipulate the terms in the equation and arrive at a statement that shows the existence of the desired delta.

4. What are some common mistakes when using a delta-epsilon proof?

One common mistake when using a delta-epsilon proof is to assume that the value of delta is fixed for all values of epsilon. In reality, delta should be chosen based on the specific value of epsilon in the given problem. Another mistake is to manipulate the terms in the equation without following the logical steps, which can lead to an invalid proof.

5. How can I improve my skills in using delta-epsilon proofs?

The best way to improve your skills in using delta-epsilon proofs is to practice, practice, practice. Start with simpler problems and work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to get feedback and discuss different approaches to solving problems. Additionally, studying and understanding the underlying concepts of calculus and real analysis will also improve your understanding and proficiency in using delta-epsilon proofs.