Use differentials to estimate the maximum possible error

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use differentials to estimate the maximum possible error in a product of four positive numbers that are rounded to the first decimal place. The maximal error is determined to be 0.05, as rounding to the first decimal place cannot result in an error larger than that. The final correct answer is 25,000, which is obtained by multiplying 50 to the power of 3 by 0.05 four times.
circa415
Four positive numbers, each less than 50, are rounded to the first decimal place and then multiplied together. Use differentials to estimate the maximum possible error in the computed product that might result from the rounding.

I took f(w,x,y,z) = wxzy and then you set df=xzy(dw)+wzy(dx) etc and you will eventually wind up with 4(50)^3(___) as the possible error. I'm having trouble filling in the blank. I'm not sure what dw, dx, dy, and dz would be. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You truncate your numbers, right?
So, the maximal error you make in the truncation of one number is 0.1.
Agreed?

the final correct answer is 25,000, which means the blank has to be .05. But I'm not sure where that number comes from. I also thought dw, dz, etc would be .1

Edit: stupid mistake.. it would just be 50(.1)^3 to get the .05

Looking closer, it says rounded. That means maximal error is 0.05 (do you see why?)
Hence, you'd get:
[tex]50^{3}(0.05+0.05+0.05+0.05)=25000*5*(0.2)=25000[/tex]

could you give me a further explanation as to why the maximal error is .05?

(50^3)(.05) + (50^3)(.05) + (50^3)(.05) + (50^3)(.05) = 25000

The numbers are rounded...you cannot round to the first deciamal place and have the number and be off by more than .05

Take 40.45 This would round to 40.5, with an error of .05
Take 40.49 This would round to 40.5, with an error of .01
Take 40.44 This would round to 40.4, with an error of .04

Do you get it now?? You cannot round to the first decimal like that and be off by more than .05

ah, I see thank you

1. What is the purpose of using differentials to estimate maximum possible error?

The purpose of using differentials is to provide an approximation of the maximum possible error of a given function or equation. This helps to quantify the potential uncertainty or margin of error in a calculation or measurement.

2. How do you calculate the maximum possible error using differentials?

The maximum possible error can be calculated using the formula: maximum possible error = absolute value of differential x maximum value of the independent variable. This formula takes into account the sensitivity of the function to changes in the independent variable.

3. Can differentials be used to estimate maximum possible error for all types of functions?

Yes, differentials can be used to estimate maximum possible error for any type of function as long as the function is differentiable. This means that the function has a well-defined slope at every point.

4. How accurate are the estimates of maximum possible error using differentials?

The accuracy of the estimate depends on the accuracy of the differential and the maximum value of the independent variable. In general, the estimate provides a good approximation of the maximum possible error, but it may not be exact.

5. Are there any limitations to using differentials to estimate maximum possible error?

One limitation of using differentials is that it assumes the function is differentiable at all points, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the estimate may not be accurate if the maximum value of the independent variable is close to zero or if the function has a very steep slope.