Use Fourier transform to solve PDE damped wave equation

In summary, to solve the given PDE using Fourier transforms, it is recommended to take transforms in both x and t variables. This will simplify the ODE and result in a characteristic equation in terms of frequency \omega. The general solution can then be obtained by taking inverse Fourier transforms, and specific solutions can be obtained by substituting the initial conditions. It is important to check if all solutions satisfy the given conditions.
math2011
This question is also posted at http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/f59/use-fourier-transform-solve-pde-damped-wave-equation-188173.html

Use Fourier transforms to solve the PDE
[tex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} + \beta \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} = c^2 \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2}[/tex], [tex]- \infty < x < \infty[/tex], [tex]t > 0[/tex]
subject to
[tex]\phi(x,0) = f(x)[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle \left. \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} \right\lvert_{t=0} = g(x)[/tex].

ATTEMPT:

I took Fourier transforms in [tex]x[/tex] and got the ODE
[tex]\Phi_{tt}(k,t) + \beta \Phi_t(k,t) + c^2 k^2 \Phi(k,t) = 0[/tex].

Trying to solve this ODE I get
[tex]\lambda = \frac{-\beta \pm \sqrt{\beta^2 - 4 c^2 k^2}}{2}[/tex].

This results in there are three solutions to the ODE depending on the value of [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Am I supposed find solve [tex]\phi[/tex] for all three solutions?

How can I proceed next?

Should I have taken Fourier transforms in [tex]t[/tex] instead in the first step?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first like to clarify the problem and the approach that you have taken. The given PDE is a damped wave equation with a damping coefficient of \beta. You have correctly taken Fourier transforms in x to obtain an ODE in k and t. However, I would suggest taking Fourier transforms in t as well, to simplify the ODE further. This will result in an ODE in k and \omega, where \omega is the frequency variable in the Fourier transform of time. This will give you a characteristic equation in terms of \omega, which can then be solved for \Phi(k,\omega).

After obtaining the solution in terms of \Phi(k,\omega), you can then take inverse Fourier transforms in both variables to obtain the solution in terms of x and t, i.e. \phi(x,t). This will give you a general solution in terms of the Fourier transform of the initial conditions f(x) and g(x). You can then use the inverse Fourier transform of the initial conditions to obtain a specific solution for \phi(x,t).

In terms of the three solutions that you have obtained, they may correspond to different boundary conditions or initial conditions. It is important to check if these solutions satisfy the given boundary conditions and initial conditions. If they do, then you can consider all three solutions as part of the general solution. Otherwise, you may need to consider only the solutions that satisfy the given conditions.

I hope this helps in your understanding and approach towards solving the PDE using Fourier transforms. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out for help.

1. What is the damped wave equation?

The damped wave equation is a type of partial differential equation (PDE) that describes the behavior of damped waves in a medium. It takes into account both the wave propagation and the damping effect of the medium.

2. How can Fourier transform be used to solve the damped wave equation?

Fourier transform is a mathematical tool that can decompose a function into a sum of periodic functions with different frequencies. By applying Fourier transform to the damped wave equation, we can convert it into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve.

3. What are the steps for using Fourier transform to solve the damped wave equation?

The steps for solving the damped wave equation using Fourier transform are as follows:

• Apply Fourier transform to convert the equation into an algebraic form.
  • Solve the algebraic equation for the Fourier coefficients.
  • Use the inverse Fourier transform to obtain the solution in the original space.

4. What are the advantages of using Fourier transform to solve the damped wave equation?

Using Fourier transform to solve the damped wave equation has several advantages, including:

• It simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve.
  • It allows for a more efficient and accurate numerical solution.
  • It can handle a wide range of initial and boundary conditions.
  • It provides a clear physical interpretation of the solution in terms of wave frequencies.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier transform for solving the damped wave equation?

Yes, there are limitations to using Fourier transform for solving the damped wave equation, including:

• It only applies to linear problems, meaning that the damping effect must be proportional to the wave amplitude.
  • It assumes that the medium is homogeneous and isotropic.
  • It may not provide an accurate solution for highly nonlinear problems.
  • It requires a certain level of mathematical expertise and computational resources.